- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Jan. 7, 2022
- Data Science
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Why data science & analytics?
The Data Science & Analytics organization’s mission is to increase our speed, frequency and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive tool belt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers.
Why avatar marketplace?
As a Data Scientist on Avatar Marketplace, you’ll be in the front seat for helping drive user engagement through customization of their avatar on the platform. You will partner with fellow data scientists, product managers, and engineers to execute on a data science learning roadmap - building and tracking KPIs, executing analyses, and building models. The insights you uncover will drive the growth of our UGC creator community, enabling user engagement & allowing creators to earn a living.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity and self-drive to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- A strong communicator. You understand that performing decisions at scale brings up a plethora of questions. You have the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- A capable statistician. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day.
- An expert collecting the right data. You can easily work with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You’re experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data using big data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- Adept at developing models to draw insights from data. You use regression techniques, data mining, statistical techniques and deep learning to create new, scalable solutions to solve difficult business problems. You understand when to apply the appropriate methodology, tool, framework to maximize impact in a pragmatic fashion.
- Excited about free, scalable coding education. You are excited by the opportunity to engage millions of children and youth in learning programming through play. You enjoy thinking about the levers to engage more players to become developers.
- Accelerate product development and decision-making through the application of models & analyses to drive growth and improve the product experience.
- Evaluate A/B experiments to determine success of product feature launches.
- Influence how Roblox interacts with its players and its UGC creators
- Find opportunities to make creation easier, more successful, and consistently value-add
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics, Financial Mathematics or other technical field
- 3+ years of industry experience in Data Science and Analytics
- 2+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages and tools such as SQL, Hive, Spark and Airflow
- 2+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 2+ years of industry experience in analytics focused on enhancing products and driving innovation
- 2+ years of experience in fast-paced environment or fast growing company, such as the tech sector
- Demonstrated ability to lead or build a team from scratch as an individual contributor
- Experience working with content platforms, particularly user-generated content
- Ability to communicate analytics results and data storytelling to influence product teams and leaders
- Creative thinker able to apply first-principles reasoning to solve complex problems
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar