- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Nov. 23, 2021
- Data Science
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Why data science & analytics?
The Data Science & Analytics organization’s mission is to increase our speed, frequency and acumen of making decisions at scale by instilling a data-influenced approach to building products. We cover a wide area of the data spectrum including analytical data engineering, product analytics, experimentation, causal inference, statistical modeling and machine learning. Aligned and partnering with product verticals, we use this extensive toolbelt to discover new opportunities and unmet use cases, influence and shape the product roadmap and prioritization, build data products and measure impact on our community of players and developers.
Why collaborative development?
The Collaborative Development team mission is to provide developers with collaborative tools that inspire innovation. As the first Data Scientist on this team, you will be a key participant in developing a vision and roadmap for how developers will create, share, and collaborate together on the Roblox platform. You’ll partner with data scientists, product managers, engineers and leaders across the company to better understand our players and developers. You will identify and prioritize opportunities, guide strategic decisions, create dashboards, determine root causes and drivers of change, define KPIs, determine causal relationships, and design A/B experiments. You will build models of the creative process that capture how teams work together effectively to create engaging content.
- Passionate about data. You have the curiosity and self-drive to continuously learn new techniques and tools to extract value from data. You have a degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science or other relevant field.
- A strong communicator. You understand that analysis must be presented in meaningful ways and engage in spirited discussions about the findings. You have the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences and discuss appropriate tradeoffs.
- A capable statistician. You understand the value of characterizing data by its distribution. Covariance, Bias, and Conditional Probability are concepts that you rely on every day.
- An expert transforming data with SQL and a scripting language such as Python or R. You’re experienced in automating efforts and crunching massive volumes of data using big data frameworks such as Spark, Hadoop or Flink.
- Experienced in developing models to draw insights from data. You use regression techniques, data mining, and statistical techniques to create new, scalable solutions to solve difficult business problems. You are pragmatic and understand when to apply the appropriate methodology to maximize impact.
- Define and track key metrics that measure success
- Accelerate product development through your understanding of the underlying data and your ability to partner with product and technical leaders to provide insights that drive growth
- Analyze when and how collaboration impacts developer success
- Identify and prioritize opportunities to improve the collaborative experience
- Build pipelines and dashboards to determine root causes of changes in metrics
- Evaluate the success of product feature launches
- 6+ years of industry experience in analytics
- 2+ years of experience in statistical modeling or machine learning
- 3+ years of experience using big data query/processing languages such as SQL, Hive or Spark to transform/manipulate very large datasets
- 3+ years of experience in one or more scripting languages such as Python or R
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- Ability to communicate analytics results and data storytelling to influence product teams and leaders
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, Economics or other technical field
- 2+ years of experience in fast-paced environment or fast growing company, such as the tech sector
- Experience working with platforms that involve collaboration
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar