- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Design & UI
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Why assessment tools?
The Assessment Tools team builds game-based cognitive assessments which are used to evaluate specific cognitive skills as part of the hiring process. Learning experts and game developers collaborate to create engaging and effective assessments. Working with this team will be a great fit for you if you’re intrigued by the intersection of psychology and games.
As a game designer on the Assessment Tools Team, you will work with learning experts and game developers to design and create assessment games. On the Assessment Tools team, game design acts as the bridge between Learning Science and Game Development. Learning Scientists research and record what cognitive skills are needed to succeed in specific roles at Roblox. Game Designers collaborate with Learning Scientists and Game Developers to create gameplay that engages the targeted cognitive skill. User testing and iteration is a key component of building an assessment that is engaging and effective.
- Analytical about games. You have a good understanding of a broad variety of games and types of games. When someone suggests a new game feature, you can reference a previous game that tried it and explain why it did or didn’t work. This requires a diversity of gaming experience that covers well-known and more obscure games.
- Familiar with tools such as Roblox Studio. The Assessment Tools team develops in Roblox Studio. Game Designers are not expected to create complex experiences or systems on their own, but familiarity and experience with the involved steps is useful. You will work with Roblox Studio and quickly learn your way around.
- A strong team member. You communicate effectively in meetings and documentation. You resolve conflicts rather than creating them. You get things done!
- Experienced at finding creative solutions to gameplay problems. You have been involved in multiple game development projects, like published games or student work. Through this experience, you developed familiarity with common problems in game design and how to solve them. You faced tough questions and came up with creative solutions.
- Someone who enjoys working with data. You can manipulate information in spreadsheet or json form, and balance game systems in ways that align with the product’s overall goal.
- Excited about working on engaging assessments. Our projects are not entertainment-based products. While we strive to make assessments that are engaging to the players, our first goal is always to make an assessment that measures something.
- Create original game designs. A key responsibility of this role is to take a specific cognitive skill and create game designs that potentially assess it. This includes communicating these ideas through documentation and presentations with the goal of getting support from partners.
- Prototype ideas. Get hands-on in Roblox studio and rapidly prototype different ideas for exploration purposes, and present them to Learning Scientists.
- Create and refine gameplay data. that drives the specific details of an assessment. Refine the data to get the desired response from players.
- Run user testing and interpret results. Facilitate gameplay and usability tests, and adjust design of assessment based on testing results and scientific analysis. Identify problems and develop creative solutions.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Game Design, or other related field
- Experience working on 3+ game projects. Game projects can be professional, student and/or personal in nature.
- Experience working on game projects in 1+ game engines (2+ preferred), like Unity, Unreal, Roblox Studio, Twine, or other
- Experience contributing to game and prototype development
- Have worked on educational or serious games projects
- Familiarity developing with Roblox Studio and/or Lua
- Have experience working in education or cognitive science-related fields
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar