- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Design & UI
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
The Roblox Avatar defines the identity of a Roblox player and is one of the axes around which the Roblox Metaverse construct is built. As a Principal Engineer on the Avatar Appearance team, you will be part of the senior staff, and work with us on state-of-the-art character technologies to enhance the range of character look and behavior from the classic toy-like characters to photorealistic humans and anywhere in between.
You are experienced and passionate about powering the future generation of Roblox’s high-performant real-time characters and the developer tools that will help millions of Roblox developers and creators to easily create characters through intuitive user interfaces. You will work with us to build technology in the areas of real-time cloth, rendering, geometry/modeling, character rigging and high-performance distributed computing. You will report to the Engineering Manager for Avatar Appearance.
- Educated: Bachelor’s degree in a related CG field. Masters and PhDs are a plus
- Experienced: You have 10+ years in the game industry, computer graphics or related field
- Proficient: C++ with experience working on large complex code bases
- Knowledgeable: Understanding of modern real-time 3D engines, with experience applying research in the fields of computer graphics, computer vision, animation and machine learning to synthesize character appearance, motion, simulation and interaction.pow
- Customer-centric: Passion for performance and top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engines, tools, and pipelines
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Motivated: Explore ideas to provide value
- Become an expert on the Roblox Avatar data model and core engine functionality that guide our character systems.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to accomplish the research efforts into the Roblox production game engine and tools.
- Become an expert on Roblox Studio, our content creation tools, and pipeline
- Improve the future of avatar technology through vision, combined with detailed execution strategy that optimizes for fidelity, performance and compatibility.
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction to improve the quality bar of the team.
- Work with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar