- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Oct. 4, 2021
- Software Engineering
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
Avatar marketplace is a user facing product vertical team responsible for building everything needed for an open marketplace that allows users to sell and purchase virtual metaverse items. These items are used to customize users’ virtual identities which are the avatars they use across all virtual experiences on Roblox platform. It’s like an ebay for virtual items.
- This role will have End-to-end ownership of both the discovery side and content creation side of the marketplace
- All projects have direct user impact to the marketplace that generates more than 30% of company revenue
- Discovery side aims to surface most relevant items based on users’ personal preference
- Content creation side aims to enable everyone in the world to sell virtual items on Roblox
With millions of items available in the marketplace and a fast growing user base, there is a wide range of engineering and product challenges under the marketplace ecosystem. Plenty of opportunities to design scalable, reliable, publicly facing systems and building complex features from scratch.
Exposure to a large variety of systems & technologies including search, recommendation, ML, data pipeline. On top of the infra and platform teams, collaborate with many cross-functional teams across the company, including purchase, transaction, ownership, content, moderation, avatar, search & discovery.
- A leader with a proven track record of strong people management skills and an ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers
- Able to contribute to architecture and implementation discussions across platforms (website, iOS, and Android)
- Experienced, with 2+ years in an engineering management role and a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a similar technical field
- Effective at driving projects and comfortable getting your hands dirty when needed
- Focused on writing clear, readable, testable, modular, and monitored code
- Passionate about working on a large scale, consumer-facing mobile and web applications
- Collaborative with excellent communication skills and follow-through.
- Organized and analytical with the ability to track numerous separate threads to their appropriate resolution
- Data-driven with an ability to deliver quality metrics and monitoring.
- Develop team Roadmap, charter and vision. Own and deliver complex technical projects from the planning stage through execution.
- Provide guidance on architecture and design, and define processes for launching products and features
- Hire and provide mentoring to both junior and senior engineers in their progress on business and personal career goals
- Develop and track key metrics for quality and team performance, drive their improvement over time, and communicate their status
- Work with product managers on multiple projects concurrently and drive them successfully.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar