- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Jul. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Principal Engineer Real Time Streaming, you’ll be in charge of the overall technical vision and execution for our core real time components which will eventually support all our communications and broadcast needs. If you are super excited about hosting a video broadcast for 2M+ simultaneous viewers or ensuring that our 6M+ concurrent players can voice chat flawlessly on any network condition, this is the right role for you. This is an individual contributor senior engineering role.
- Battle ready: You have already built and deployed a system supporting millions of concurrent streams and are not afraid of any part of the technical stack (encoding, transport, transcoding, etc…). You are eager to apply what you learned and lead the upcoming platform for all Roblox real time communication (audio, data, video).
- Experienced: You have 10+ years of experience in large scale real time solutions with a proven track record of delivering low latency fault tolerant technical solutions. You have a BS in Computer Science, MS/PhD are a definite plus.
- Knowledgeable: You have a deep understanding of all the components required to build a real time streaming system and are able to go deep on any required area from networking, protocols, codecs up to buffering/rendering. You can recommend one route versus another and bring a team of engineers to consensus. You also love to pick up new technologies/codecs as the landscape evolves.
- Versatile: You’re a jack of all trades and you have mastered several languages and technologies already; you can easily adapt to any situation when the need arises and come with the right solution.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Team-oriented: You have a magnetic personality that invigorates the team around you and you are used to lead technical teams in any situation.
- Lead the definition and implementation of our real time platform and design a system that can adapt from small group voice chat up to video broadcast to millions of viewers.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to realize the research efforts into the Roblox products.
- Drive any intellectual property effort on the domain as we are breaking new grounds.
- Lead other engineers by example and through technical direction.
- Collaborate with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow.
- Be guided by the company vision to put the Roblox community first and represent the company through thought leadership.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar