- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Jul. 6, 2021
- Software Engineering
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
The Matchmaking team’s mission is to:
- Provide the best player experience by choosing the best game possible
- Handle game orchestration by ensuring optimal performance across Roblox worldwide data centers
As a Principal Software Engineer with the Matchmaking team, you’ll have the independence, opportunity, and the end-to-end responsibility to build and own mission critical services within the Roblox ecosystem.
You’ll also be a decision maker and be involved in creating the next generation of the Matchmaking system, built to scale up to 1B monthly active users. This distributed system will be highly available and support up to 1M QPS.
In order to achieve the best player experience possible, you’ll be leading experimentation, data driven projects and partner closely with data analysts. You’ll also work on our new Machine Learning prediction system to continuously improve the quality of the matchmaking decision.
Here are a few quick highlights of how we impact Roblox:
- Matchmaking Decisions - Selecting the best game server possible for every play request is a o(n²) problem. The system currently supports several millions of concurrent players. We need YOU to raise that bar even higher!
- The game orchestration system handles games spread across data centers distributed all over the world, which are growing rapidly to support Roblox’ terrific growth.
Here are a few things we will work on together:
- Lead, design and implement large scale backend services from the ground up.
- Build new microservices in a collaborative modern development process using Docker, .Net Linux, and container orchestration.
- Design and implement features in our backend Matchmaking system, including experimentation driven projects and AB tests.
- Collaborate and partner closely with other engineering teams as well as data scientists.
- Possibly, contributing to the new Machine Learning prediction system for the matchmaking algorithm.
- Bring your full experiences of rapid daily releases so that we can delight our customers every week with improvements and new features!
- Technical leadership: be a gatekeeper for a high code quality bar, architectural designs, and pragmatic vs. long-term approaches
- Build consensus and alignment between product and feature teams on requirements, architecture decisions, and implementation details
- Resolve dependencies, schedules, and prioritization with an eye towards common and shared deliverables
- Track data, where possible, on changes/improvements so they can be measured, and so that we can continually improve.
- Work effectively within a team environment to be an inspiration to the people around you and to be inspired by the people you will work with.
- Someone that likes to figure things out
- Someone that has architected, designed, and developed a wide-array of software products.
- An expert in building highly available distributed systems, and familiar with NoSQL/NewSQL systems.
- An expert that has shipped multiple products / versions of products.
- Knowledgeable with REST, API design patterns, and scalable containerized systems and microservices.
- Has previous experience with building Machine Learning systems.
- A Computer-Science graduate or MS graduate
- Someone with 7+ years of experience
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar