- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Nov. 23, 2021
- Software Engineering
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Avatar Core Services team, you will orchestrate engineering that scales Roblox avatars to millions of simultaneous players. The Avatar Core Services team builds the backend that delivers customizable avatars to a wide range of platforms & devices. The team works closely with other avatar teams to build new & innovative services crucial for both increasing avatar quality and improving client-side runtime performance. You will guide design of all major projects while keeping an eye out for overall system health; you’ll take the long view and innovate solutions that solve unique avatar problems. You will report into our Engineering Director.
- Experienced in leading cross functional engineering efforts to scale up backend system to handle large number of concurrent users
- Experienced in designing and building web application using microservice architecture
- Capable of breaking down product requirements into iterative deliverable stages with track record to show successful execution
- An expert in SQL database and Elasticsearch scalability and optimization
- A mentor and tech lead that has helped team members to grow their technical depth
- An experienced backend engineer with 3+ years of work experience
- A Computer-Science graduate or MS graduate
- Experience in .NET, Go, Java, C++
- Track record of technical leadership and mentorship within and across different teams
- Took initiative and led team to tackle large scale tech debt or system improvement projects that involve collaborating with cross functional teams
- Has built up technical depth in at least 2 different companies (min 2 years each)
- Someone constantly thinking about the bigger picture in terms of areas for improvement, potential bottlenecks and engineering best practices
- Game experience is a plus
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar