- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Jan. 10, 2022
- Software Engineering
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Senior Engineering Manager on Avatar Core Services, you will be responsible for all backend systems that support customization of user avatars on the Roblox platform. Your team will be responsible for improving speed and scale for millions of virtual items and animations that users can equip on their avatars. With daily active users growing at a new record rate, we are looking for a leader with a strong technical background in solving scalability and reliability challenges of critical backend systems, and are excited to solve new problems that are unique to avatars.
- Develop team Roadmap, charter and vision alongside product partners. Own and deliver complex technical projects from the planning stage through execution.
- Provide guidance on architecture and design, and define processes for launching products and features
- Grow & mentor the team, provide technical guidance, andHire and provide mentoring to both junior and senior engineers in their progress on business and personal career goals
- Develop and track key metrics for quality and team performance, drive their improvement over time, and communicate their status
- Strong people manager with proven experience in growing and motivating engineering teams
- In-depth technical knowledge in high scale and low latency backend systems
- Successfully delivered complex projects that involved multiple teams and cross functional coordination.
- Able to contribute to system architecture and design decisions, and comfortable getting your hands dirty when needed.
- Excellent communication skills, and a history of working with product managers on multiple projects concurrently
- 8+ years of engineering experience including 4+ years as an engineering manager
- A Computer Science or related degree BS or MS graduate
- Experience in .NET, Go, Java, C++ or any OO
- Someone constantly thinking about the bigger picture in terms of areas for improvement, potential bottlenecks and engineering best practices
- Game experience a plus but not needed
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar