- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- Dec. 14, 2021
- Software Engineering
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
As a Senior/Principal Software Engineer - Avatar Tools, you will build exciting new features for our character system. With an diverse application set, you will work on our character system that helps power the millions of games you find on Roblox. We are looking for engineers passionate about building tools to make creating player and non-player characters as seamless as possible for our developers. You need to be proficient in C++, data structures, and algorithms. You also need to be an expert in character systems, animation systems, import and export pipelines for meshes, textures, rigs, and animations. Experience with Lua is desired, as is experience in game development. You will report to the Avatar Engineering Manager.
- Educated: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Experienced: 5+ years in the game industry, computer graphics or related field,
- Proficient: Script and code in languages such as C++, LUA, Python, and MEL
- Knowledgeable: Understanding of modern real-time 3D engines, art tools and pipelines, including Unity and Unreal, Maya and Blender, character systems, LOD systems
- Visual-focused: Passion for top-notch visuals with a focus on driving improvements in engines, tools, and pipelines
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving existing issues and driving new tools/functionality for our developers
- Motivated: Explore and provide value
- Become an expert on Roblox Studio, our content creation tools, and pipeline
- Develop content while documenting pain points and missing features including technical, visual and usability issues
- Author specs for improvements and new features
- Investigate and provide feedback on our tools and pipelines
- Create prototype assets in Maya, Blender, Photoshop and additional art creation software to run tests for R&D projects
- Review, provide feedback, modify and import assets created by outsourcing teams
- Write tools and plugins to support the pipelines and artist workflow for both Studio and external software
- Affirm assets and tools are performant across all of our supported platforms including mobile, desktop and console
- Work with different teams to improve existing and develop new functionality, pipelines, and workflow
- Follow our development community and stay aware of top issues and requests
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar