- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Aug. 17, 2021
At Scale, our mission is to accelerate the development of AI. We are seeking an AGC of Product and Privacy to build and scale the product and privacy functions within the legal team at Scale. You will join a creative and solutions-oriented team collaborating with internal teams at Scale and externally with our customers and partners. We are looking for relentlessly curious, deliberately open-minded, and action-oriented lawyers who can design effective legal advice, internal policies, and operational processes while employing an empathetic interpersonal style. You (and ultimately your team) will serve as trusted advisors to product, engineering, operations, and marketing teams as they build AI products serving our customers across industries including technology, healthcare, financial services, and the public sector. This position will report to the General Counsel and be located in San Francisco.
- Advise product, engineering, operations, and marketing teams on meeting strategic objectives while complying with laws, regulations, best practices, and customer requirements.
- Build the product and privacy counseling function within the Scale legal team.
- Build and maintain a privacy compliance program that scales to meet changing global regulations.
- Design, implement, and iterate on policies, processes and procedures to improve the legal team’s engagement model with the product organization.
- Support the commercial legal team in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating legal agreements.
- Develop training materials and conduct training sessions for product and business teams.
- Monitor legal and regulatory developments, think ahead, see around corners, and help prepare for and minimize risks that may arise in the future.
Ideally you’ll have:
- JD and a member of the California Bar in good standing.
- At least 8+ years of law firm and in-house experience.
- Experience counseling technology product teams, especially those building B2B and artificial intelligence products and services.
- Experience counseling on global privacy compliance and emerging regulations and best practices in artificial intelligence.
- Experience counseling on intellectual property issues related to data use and open source software.
- Experience managing and developing other attorneys and analysts and leading a product counseling and/or privacy compliance function.
- An ability to translate between business and technical risk and communicate clearly to business and technical constituencies.
- Roll-up your sleeves attitude to tackle projects large and small and a collaborative, low-ego approach to collaborating across the organization.
- Deep interest in machine learning technology and applications.
- Excellent organizational and communications skills.
Nice to haves:
- Experience managing a patent program
- Experience managing litigation
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how machine learning can build innovative products. Our products provide access to human-powered data for hundreds of use cases and are used by industry leaders such as Open AI, Lyft, GM, Samsung, Airbnb, NVIDIA, and many more. We’ve recently raised $325 million in Series E funding at a valuation of $7B+ and are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.