- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- Jun. 9, 2021
- Design & UI
You’re not like everyone else. You bring a unique perspective to the table. Transparency tops your list of values. Your smarts and creativity are off the charts, matched only by your humility. You want to collaborate with a team of diverse talent. You proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion.
You enjoy a challenge. Inquisitive and focused, you see every challenge as an opportunity. You’re ambitious and unafraid to make mistakes because you learn from them and adjust quickly. “Impossible” isn’t in your vocabulary. You’re more interested in creating the future than waiting for it.
You love to listen. You start every interaction from a place of listening and seeking to understand. You’re culturally connected. You remember your first concert. You can readily recommend a binge-worthy show on Netflix, Hulu or HBO. You can’t sit in traffic without a great audiobook, podcast or album. You can make a killer playlist. Your idea of a good weekend includes watching a movie or playing a video game.
Sonos is seeking a creative technologist to join its Design team. The role of a technologist in the Design team at Sonos requires balancing broad technical expertise with a genuine respect for user needs. You must believe that technology serves people. Your mission is to envision and build Sonos experiences for tomorrow and beyond. Your job will be to partner with Designers to investigate new areas and provide clarity to other teams, so you must be comfortable with ambiguity and fuzzy objectives. The creative technologist understands the iterative, creative process and has an insatiable appetite for building prototypes, facilitating field testing, and constant refinement. Build and learn quickly to fail forward.
What You’ll Do :
As a creative technologist you will help us define and communicate a unique vision for how technology can improve people’s lives through sound. Your role is to help define, build, test, and refine solutions that move Sonos into the future. You are expected to collaborate with design, research, and engineering partners to deliver joyful experiences that are achievable, but feel like magic. Though you must love to build, your role is not limited to prototyping -- You should also be passionate about maker culture, emerging technology, concept brainstorms, extensible platforms, efficient code, elegant documentation, and the study of human behavior.
- Partner with multidisciplinary designers in a range of observe, ideate, build, test, learn activities
- Find creative ways to address needs we see in customers’ lives
- Identify technologies and build proof points to turn our aspirations into reality.
- Serve as liaison to research engineering teams to help them understand the technical implications of insight discovered through experimentation.
Success in this role requires:
Empathy: User-centric design. Candidates must have the ability to understand the needs and desires of Sonos customers in place of their own.
Willingness to fail fast and fall forward: You are able to see the learning value of hypotheses which don’t prove out, and quickly adjust to build knowledge into next steps.
Creative thinking: Ability to think creatively and critically across a range of problem types while keeping sight of the “big picture” goals. Additionally, the right candidate will have a genuine interest in working across problems that touch upon hardware, software, interface, and audio output.
Entrepreneurial Mindset: Candidates should have experience in navigating programs that travel into uncharted territory. We need you to find the path to outcomes that haven’t been attempted before and be willing to wear whatever hat is needed on the journey.
What You’ll Need:
- Degree(s) in a relevant field.
- Professional experience in applied technology in a corporate or
- Consulting team environment.
- Ability to assemble & manipulate a wide range of technologies into cohesive experiences using mock-ups, models, APIs, found objects, Rapid Prototyping.
- Proven ability to connect technology capability to user needs.
- High Proficiency with software and hardware tools such as soldering, hot-gluing, 3D modeling and printing, sensors, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Github, scripting languages, UI development, Rapid Prototyping.
- Able to travel to participate in user research.
- Must be able to demonstrate contributions with project examples.
- Strong command of American-English is critical.
- Proven ability to chart your own course to a desired outcome.
- Ability to multitask, work quickly, accurately, but take time for reflection and innovation
- Experience interacting and effectively communicating with internal partners & 3rd party vendors throughout the design and prototyping process
More About Sonos:
- In 2002, Sonos set out to reinvent the way people listen at home. The wireless home sound system we created makes
- It easier than ever to fill any and every room with music, podcasts, TV, and just about anything else you could ever want
- To hear-all with brilliant, immersive clarity. Since then millions of people in over 60 countries have made Sonos part of
Their lives. Today we remain focused on innovation, thoughtfully designing products, inventing new technologies, expanding our software platform, crafting the best sound experience and making a positive social impact in the world.
We’re empowering people to listen better because listening builds understanding and drives change. It even increases happiness and brings people together. Simply put, listening leads to a better life. (We’ve got the data to prove it.)