- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- Sep. 20, 2021
- Engineering Hardware
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do best work of their lives.
We are looking for an Electrical Engineer with demonstrated electrical design and sustaining engineering skills to join our growing team. As there will be some project management responsibilities, experience or interest in technical project leadership is highly preferred.
As part of the Sonos Continuing and Sustaining Engineering (CaSE) team you will help drive all design changes for feature enhancement, cost reduction and performance improvement to Sonos products once they are released into mass production. Challenges include keeping up with ever-expanding manufacturing volumes, finding and testing ideas for product improvements, improving yields, driving down costs, improving product reliability and sustainability, and enhancing manufacturing reproducibility.
- Develop, validate, implement, and support product redesign/refresh and cost-reduction projects, including:
- O Hardware design and development at the board and system level
- O Schematic entry, BOM generation, guiding the PCB layout
- O Collaborate with audio, mechanical, radio, software, and other development teams to complete the design.
- O Define the qualification plan including build configurations and hardware validation test plan
- O Verify the design with engineering support from the validation/lab teams and factory program management
- O Control, revise and release the project documentation in a PLM system
- Manage the project across internal cross-functional teams and external contract manufacturers according to the scope of the project, which may include some or all of the following:
- O Define the business objectives and perform cost/benefit analysis
- O Manage the project schedule, technical resources, and financial aspects
- O Clearly communicate project status on a regular basis
- O Organize project meetings and track all technical issues
- O Lead the project team through troubleshooting to problem resolution
- Support traditional sustaining responsibilities such as failure analysis, component qualifications and performance improvements.
- Provide “lessons-learned” feedback to the Product Development team and participate in design reviews to ensure that the next generation of Sonos products are better than ever.
- Partner cross-functionally with Quality and Customer Support to fully understand the user experience and any design change implications.
- Work directly with our Compliance Engineering team to ensure our product’s continued compliance with regulations and international standards.
- Drive continuous improvements in engineering processes and best practices.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of electrical design and sustaining engineering work experience and demonstrated technical abilities. In addition, technical project leadership or project management skills is highly preferred. Other important qualifications include:
- Minimum of 3-5 years of electrical engineering experience, preferably in product development of consumer electronics. Digital experience is preferred. Audio experience is a plus.
- 1-2 years of project management experience, preferably including direct experience with contract manufacturers, and leading OEM/JDM projects.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to understand system-level issues.
- Ability to propose, set up, and execute design validation testing plans with limited guidance.
- Experience with a wide variety of test equipment including: oscilloscopes; multimeters; network, spectrum and impedance analyzers; active and current probes; thermocouples.
- Experience with schematic entry and PCB layout tools.
- Experience with data collection and statistical analysis methods.
- Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, to recognize the level of urgency of problems and to prioritize tasks.
- Technically inquisitive – must be able to take on new technical challenges, learn new technical skills on-the-fly and apply that knowledge to solve the issue at hand.
- Well-developed reporting skills (written technical communications), including the ability to summarize complicated issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering or equivalent experience in related technical discipline.