- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- Dec. 27, 2021
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
Sonos is seeking an experienced Audio Systems Engineer to support the exploration of new opportunities and inform our strategic growth. We are looking for disruptive ideas that can be brought into millions of homes. Your mission is to envision and build Sonos experiences for tomorrow and beyond. Your job will be to extend our existing point of view into new and uncharted spaces, so you must be comfortable with ambiguity and fuzzy objectives. You enjoy the creative process and have an insatiable appetite for building prototypes, learning through field testing, and constant refinement.
What You’ll Do
You will help us define and communicate new ideas for improving people’s sound experience. Your role is to brainstorm, ideate, build, test, and demonstrate solutions that move Sonos into the future. You are expected to collaborate with other multidisciplinary engineers, researchers, and design partners. You will explore opportunities for evolving audio hardware and signal processing to create the systems of the future. And, you will collaborate with Product Management and our Sound Experience leadership team to get the concepts into our product development roadmap.
What You’ll Need
- A BS in acoustics, engineering, physics or an equivalent discipline.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Strong foundational knowledge in physical and room acoustics.
- A high degree of comfort leveraging all technologies involved in the audio signal chain: loudspeakers, microphones, amplifiers, signal processing, etc.
- Hands-on experience assembling, testing, debugging and demonstrating prototype systems.
- Proven track record of integrating complex systems with interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience with one or more acoustic test systems such as Audio Precision, SoundCheck, Smaart, Clio, or Easera.
- Skilled at tuning DSP algorithms relevant to music and home theater playback such as equalization, arrays, crossovers, and nonlinear algorithms such as limiters, compressors, etc.
- Proficient with loudspeaker modeling programs such as LSPCad, VituixCad, LEAP, and others
- An intuitive sense of culture, relevance, trends, and the intangible qualities of desirable products.
- Ability to clearly communicate, present, and disseminate research findings to specialist and general audiences at all levels of the organization.
- Personal passion for music and sound.
- Commutable to office or relocatable to office: Boston or Santa Barbara
- Ability to fabricate, assemble and manipulate a wide range of technologies into cohesive sound experiences by leveraging existing hardware, rapid prototyping, APIs, found objects, etc.
- Experience with audio prototyping using commercially available hardware and software such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, MATLAB, Simulink, Python, Max/MSP, Q-SYS, or BSS London
- Some familiarity with voice system integration and telephony such as echo cancellation, non-linear compensation, noise suppression, beam forming, voice activity detection, and machine learning is considered a bonus
- Experience using advanced simulation tools such as COMSOL and EASE to characterize and predict audio system performance.
- Comfortable interacting and communicating with internal partners and 3rd party vendors throughout the design and prototyping process.
Sonos is a sound experience company. We connect millions of listeners all around the world to the content they want, where and how they want it. Since inventing multiroom wireless audio in 2005, we have continuously innovated the listening experience, designing hardware and software that celebrates sound, empowers our customers, and brings the home to life. Our team is made up of passionate players united by a culture of respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership who want to inspire the world to listen better.
Covid-19 Health and Safety
In response to the global pandemic, we have continued to prioritize the health, safety and wellness of our employees around the world. Our offices remain closed with a few exceptions. Our Covid Vaccination Policy requires proof of Covid vaccination in the U.S. and U.S. new hires will be required to provide proof of current Covid vaccination on or before their first day of employment. In Europe and Asia Pacific, we are following national and local Covid guidelines as outlined in the policy.