- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- Aug. 24, 2021
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
The Sonos One was our first product that included microphones to support voice assistant technology. Since then, Sonos has included microphones in our home, portable, and home theater speakers to enable multiple voice assistants, automatic Trueplay and Sound Swap. We continue to improve these microphone-enabled features and are developing new experiences that are enabled by our powerful microphone systems.
As a Microphone Systems Engineer you will be accountable for collecting and consolidating requirements for the microphone systems in our products and delivering against those targets. Informed by your knowledge of technical fundamentals, our considerable intellectual property, and what really matters to the customers, you will come together with a wide variety of functions to implement the best possible microphone system that enables delightful experiences within product constraints. You will monitor and track the performance every step along the way: from early ideation, all the way to the manufacturing line.
What You’ll Do:
- Define requirements and encourage innovation in all parts of the microphone and voice chain. Understand how all of the building blocks work and identify the areas in which we most need to innovate and invent to create better microphone-enabled experiences for our customers.
- Align with voice DSP/software, industrial design, mechanical, acoustical, electrical and radio engineering to understand cross-functional constraints and design the best overall microphone system solution for the product.
- Work with our signal processing teams developing the software and algorithms to tune the system for optimum performance.
- Work with our manufacturing team to define tolerances, manufacturing testing and calibration processes.
- Identify methodologies for tracking performance using our extensive test infrastructure to rigorously monitor achievement against our defined goals.
What You’ll Need
- A BS or MS in acoustics, engineering, physics or an equivalent discipline.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience.
- Strong foundational knowledge in physical acoustics.
- Experience with acoustic test equipment such as Audio Precision or SoundCheck.
- Familiarity with technologies involved in the signal chain: microphones, microphone acoustics, general signal integrity and noise, core algorithms such as echo cancellation, calibration and equalization, non-linear compensation, noise suppression, beam forming, voice activity detection, machine learning.
- Ability to identify where existing processes and methodologies can be improved and willingness to engage in healthy debate about the way things are done.
- Proven track record of integrating complex systems with interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience with digital signal processing algorithms relevant to voice processing, telephony, music and home theater playback.
- Experience using simulation tools such as COMSOL to model and predict audio system performance.
- Experience with one or more of MATLAB, LabView, Python or a similar programming language.
- Experience using commercially available hardware and software for audio prototyping.
- Personal passion for music and sound