- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- Aug. 31, 2021
This is a position with flexibility to work remotely in the Pacific Time Zone of United States.
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
The Operations and Product Counsel will serve as part of our corporate legal group and advise the operations, product, and engineering teams to help identify legal issues during all stages of product development, manufacturing and lifecycle. You will be a problem-solver, trusted advisor, and active participant in the business. If you enjoy music and applying your relevant legal background and expertise as well as thinking quickly on your feet, learning new areas of law and able to handle legal issues that you haven’t previously faced, we’d like to talk to you!
What You’ll Do:
- Partner cross-functionally with and advise the product and operations teams to help identify legal issues related to supply chain, hardware manufacturing, production, and distribution.
- Advise the operations and sourcing teams on key relationships with contract manufacturers and suppliers as well as all aspects of the manufacturing process, including negotiation of component purchase, software license, inventory management, design services, JDM and contract manufacturing agreements.
- Manage legal aspects of Sonos’ logistics chain, including contracts, customs matters, country of origin designations, and tariffs.
- Ensure compliance with US and international laws and regulations dealing with product, intellectual property, data privacy, and warranties/consumer protection. Coordinate with other members of the legal team on training and compliance issues (such as supplier codes of conduct).
- Work with and manage outside counsel as necessary related to the above.
Skills You’ll Need:
- 3-8 years’ experience at a law firm or in-house, preferably a consumer electronics technology company. Direct experience with hardware manufacturing agreements (regardless of industry) preferred.
- JD degree and active, good standing with a US state bar.
- Transactional experience with various types of agreements (purchasing/sourcing, manufacturing, shipping, MSAs, etc.).
- Able to understand technical concepts, identify and explain risks to many company stakeholders, including those unfamiliar with legal concepts.
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing as we expand our business. The role requires an entrepreneurial mindset that enables you to successfully work independently and escalate issues when appropriate.
- High integrity and excellent judgment, especially with respect to advising on legal risk and developing scalable processes to support our growing business.
- Possesses strong communication skills, including the ability to work well in cross-functional teams.
- Schedule flexibility and the ability to periodically support people in China time zones.