- United States
- Date Posted
- Dec. 27, 2021
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our
- Customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team,
- You’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our
- Vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to
- Do the best work of their lives.
- Sonos started a revolution in audio almost two decades ago, combining the worlds of
- Hardware and software to create a home audio experience unlike anything the world
- Has ever seen. Today Sonos is playing in more than 11 million homes - delivering an
- Experience that elevates in-home listening, and now moves beyond the home. Our
- Ambition is to be the world’s leading sound experience company.
- As a patent agent at Sonos, you’ll contribute to developing one of the most valuable
- Patent portfolios in consumer electronics and protecting future Sonos innovations.
- Sonos’ patent portfolio contains over one thousand patents covering fundamental
- Aspects of the Sonos experience. IEEE recently recognized our patent portfolio as the
- Second most powerful in consumer electronics.
- We are looking for a talented Patent Agent to join the IP Team in developing our highly
- Strategic patent portfolio. This is a patent preparation and prosecution role for a
- Candidate who is an exceptional writer, has a strong grasp of software technologies,
- And has a passion for a hands-on role in building a patent portfolio at the intersection
- Of technology and sound experience.
- You will have experience in identifying new inventions for IP protection, drafting
- High-impact patent applications, and securing commercially valuable patents, and a
- Demonstrated ability to build positive relationships and work effectively in a highly
- Collaborative setting. You will also have outstanding organizational and planning skills
- To advance a number of ongoing processes and systems integral to the ongoing
- Success of the IP Team.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with building, managing, and shaping a world-class patent portfolio that
- Protects Sonos’ innovations including capturing ideas, drafting and prosecuting
- High-impact patents, and developing and executing on patent portfolio
- Collaborate with product teams and inventors to identify and protect patentable
- Inventions and develop innovations into patentable subject matter
- Work closely with outside counsel in preparing and prosecuting patent matters
That achieve Sonos’ business objectives
- Contribute to maintaining and improving patent portfolio insights and
- Organizational aspects of the portfolio through developing, executing, and
- Managing IP Team processes and systems
- Build positive relationships across the company
- Help with competitive diligence, litigation support, internal processes, third-party
- Patent matters, and special projects as needed
Skills You’ll Need
Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer
Science or equivalent
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- At least 2 years of patent prosecution experience in a law firm or in-house or as
- A patent examiner in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Excellent writing, analytical, communication, and people skills
- Ability to work effectively and flexibly with distributed teams
- At least 3 years of patent drafting experience in a law firm
- Experience managing a patent portfolio including invention identification, patent
- Application preparation, patent prosecution, and strategic patent portfolio
- Experience drafting and/or prosecuting subject matter related to cloud or
- Platform technologies, IoT technologies, or software-based user experience or
User interface features
- Experience in-house in a legal department of a technology company
- Work experience as a software engineer in a technology company
- Advanced degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, computer
Science, or equivalent
Passion for music and appreciation of easy and joyful user experiences
Building the world’s leading sound experience starts with the experience we provide for our people. That’s why we’ve been distributed from the start: initially between offices in Boston & Santa Barbara, and now with additional offices in Seattle, San Francisco & Paris. This role can be done from anywhere in the United States or Canada - any of our offices, or remotely from home. It’s about impact, not location.”
Sonos is a sound experience company. We connect millions of listeners all around the world to the content they want, where and how they want it. Since inventing multiroom wireless audio in 2005, we have continuously innovated the listening experience, designing hardware and software that celebrates sound, empowers our customers, and brings the home to life. Our team is made up of passionate players united by a culture of respect, transparency, collaboration, and ownership who want to inspire the world to listen better.
Covid-19 Health and Safety
In response to the global pandemic, we have continued to prioritize the health, safety and wellness of our employees around the world. Our offices remain closed with a few exceptions. Our Covid Vaccination Policy requires proof of Covid vaccination in the U.S. and U.S. new hires will be required to provide proof of current Covid vaccination on or before their first day of employment. In Europe and Asia Pacific, we are following national and local Covid guidelines as outlined in the policy.