- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- Aug. 24, 2021
Based in Santa Barbara, CA - Relo available
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
You’re not like everyone else: You want to collaborate with a team of diverse talent and you proactively contribute to a culture of respect and inclusion. You enjoy a challenge: Inquisitive and focused, you see every problem as an opportunity -- You’re unafraid to make mistakes because you learn from them
And bounce back quickly. You love to listen: You start every interaction from a place of listening, and learn how to navigate real-world production issues and resolve them through visual design for a core Audience.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and implement packaging designs for Sonos products and accessories, from creation through mass production. effectively balance a positive unboxing experience, product protection, material sustainability and cost.
- Use knowledge of packaging materials, manufacturing process and transportation testing to deliver exceptional packaging solutions against demanding design requirements.
- Come together and collaborate with multiple internal teams including Packaging Design Experience, Industrial Design, Mechanical Engineering, Product Management, Sourcing, Manufacturing, Marketing, Brand, and Quality and external partners including contract manufacturers and suppliers.
- Be accountable for the development and approval of packaging engineering drawings, specifications and packaging assembly bills of materials (BOMs), engineering change orders (ECOs) and engineering change requests (ECRs).
- Ability to problem solve during early development of packaging systems and complete root cause analysis of failure modes observed after testing, and follow up with corrective actions to maintain the development and build schedules.
- Manage multiple project streams and communicate regularly with program teams and to various levels of management.
- Partner with internal manufacturing teams and suppliers to optimize designs and ensure the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is assembly-friendly.
- Be a proficient user of the Kongsberg cutting table for iterative design prototyping and of packaging laboratory equipment – drop tester, vibration table and environmental chamber.
Skills You’ll Need
- B.S. Degree in Packaging Engineering
- 3-5 years of industry experience 6 month internship with related experiences mentioned in this job description.
- Expertise with International Safe Transit Association (ISTA) testing specifications.
- Hands-on experience with packaging testing equipment, drop tester, vibration, compression, environmental chambers.
- Experience with ArtiosCAD & CAPE.
- Experience with 3D CAD design software such as SolidWorks, NX or equivalent.
- Experience troubleshooting technical concerns and managing them through resolution.
- Knowledge of fiber-based materials, corrugated, adhesives and other sustainable materials used for product protection.
- Travel up to 20% to visit local suppliers and bolster engineering build activities.