- Santa Barbara, CA
- Date Posted
- May. 18, 2021
At Sonos we want to create the ultimate listening experience for our customers and know that it starts by listening to each other. As part of the Sonos team, you’ll collaborate with people of all styles, skill sets, and backgrounds to realize our vision while fostering a community where everyone feels included and empowered to do the best work of their lives.
The role of a Senior Industrial Designer in the Packaging Experience & Visual Design team at Sonos requires balancing a deep sense of collaboration & communication, with an eye for design details, quality, a desire to grow and deliver the ‘right product’. Designers at Sonos are expected to embrace the design team behaviors of Trust, Debate, and Accountability. The ability to help envision and shape joyful Sonos design experiences for premium, sustainable packaging for today and beyond is your mission. This approach requires an attention to detail and craft that is fueled by deep curiosity, respecting the challenges of delivering a premium ‘out of box experience’ for iconic products.
The Senior Designer is a highly specialized, technical designer with hands-on skills in problem solving in 3D spaces. Within assigned programs, the designer will oversee all user related issues throughout development phases, collaborate with team members within design and manufacturing groups to define Sonos packaging experiences. With the list of technical skills listed below, the designer should be comfortable navigating design intent and production challenges when leading multiple programs. In addition, the senior designers may mentor other designers within their discipline.
What You’ll Do
- Define unboxing experiences, develop packaging that not only brings joy to consumers, but also enhances Sonos design portfolio and provides a holistic experience from Brand to Product.
- Lead collaboration efforts with packaging engineering, sourcing teams as well as external vendors to deliver manufacturable, functional packaging design intent.
- Maintain or advance packaging quality standards from an aesthetic perspective by reviewing production samples, PKG test results and team feedback.
- Build volumetric models, structural prototypes, 3D renderings and packaging dielines to communicate point of view on manufacturable packaging solutions.
- Drive or influence the development of Sonos packaging sustainability initiatives.
- Understands Color Materials and Finish relative to how decisions impact packaging solutions.
- Research and present new package materials, techniques or user insights.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Packaging Engineering, Packaging Design or comparable experience.
- 5-7 years of experience developing premium 3D consumer packaging solutions for worldwide markets, creatively solving user / manufacturing problems in corporate or agency environments.
- Ability to consistently deliver design concepts for packaging that expresses a high level of sensitivity to form and function, attention to detail and conceptual clarity.
- Expert knowledge in structural packaging design, software and CAD tools: ArtiosCAD, Solidworks or NX.
- Experience in exploration and refinement of ideas through prototyping.
- Experience in collaborating with multidisciplinary teams such as UX, research, packaging engineering and HW Design.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, G-Suite and 3D rendering software such as Keyshot.
- Knowledge and experience with various substrates such as folding cartons and corrugated, molded fibers, PCR plastics and print methodologies
- Portfolio showcasing best examples and case studies is required.
- 5+ years of experience in leading packaging development projects and related activities.
- Experience in collaborating with packaging suppliers, vendors and design agencies.
- Experience in traveling to China or other countries is desirable.
- Ability to maintain aesthetic sensitivity from concept to manufacture without losing the spirit
- Of the original packaging design intent.
- Ability to multitask, work quickly, accurately, but take time for reflection and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to translate trends and culture into compelling products.
- Strong command of American-English is critical, a second spoken language is a plus.