- Date Posted
- Sep. 14, 2021
- Design & UI
- Business Applications
About the position
As a Design Manager on the Customers team at Tock, you’ll lead and grow the design team (currently a group of 4), shape product strategy, and help build and maintain a strong, inclusive, supportive, and curious design culture within Tock. You’ll join as the first design manager on this team, meaning you’ll have plenty of responsibility and opportunity to shape our team and how we work. You’ll partner with your design teammates to help them deliver beautiful solutions to the complex problems facing our customers, from an all-in-one reservation, event, and takeout system to powerful payment and financial tools to personalized guest management. You’ll learn about their career aspirations and help them grow as designers, working closely with them to address individual feedback and level-up within our team.
More about the Customers team: Chefs and restaurateurs are willing to innovate in the kitchen, drill service to perfection, and spend gobs of money on the design and decor of their space, but often forget that business operations and innovation are just as critical as the food they serve and hospitality they provide. And that’s exactly what our Customers team is responsible for. We’re helping businesses run better businesses. We’re creating powerful, transformative, and easy-to-use tools that challenge the status quo and change how restaurants, wineries, and culinary businesses operate—dramatically for the better.
The Design Manager position can be located in Chicago or work remote from anywhere in the USA.
All Tock employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees.
What we’re looking for
- At least 5 years of experience designing and shipping products with a portfolio to demonstrate
- At least 2 years of experience leading and growing design teams and shaping product strategy
- Strong verbal and writing communication skills
What you’ll do
- Develop healthy working relationships with Product Designers to support the success of their projects as well as their continued development as designers
- Collaborate with Product, Design, and Engineering leads to shape product strategy
- Provide candid, constructive design feedback throughout the evolution of a project, always pushing for the best and ensuring our design principles, brand identity, and design system are followed
- Push designers to iterate often and ship quickly while always advocating for quality
- Regularly meet with your Engineering Manager counterparts to build a strong bridge between our two teams
- Partner with our Product Managers, our Director of Design, and other product leaders to form a strong understanding of our company’s strategic vision
- Motivate and inspire Product Designers with that vision and champion how our roadmap and the work you oversee plays a vital role in that vision
- Identify and share opportunities for growth with the designers you manage and create clear, actionable goals that help them meet those expectations
- Develop a strong, inclusive, supportive, and curious design culture within Tock
- Create an environment that attracts and nurtures great talent
- Support our Director of Design and other Design Managers with recruiting awesome teammates
Tock is the all-in-one system for reservations, takeout, delivery, and events. We are changing the wya restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,300 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Tock’s explosive growth
- Awarded Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies” for 2021
- Awarded Built In’s “2021 Best Places to Work”
- Awarded America’s Hottest Brands of 2020 by AdAge
- Won Chicago Tribune’s “Game Changer” Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed over $1 billion in prepaid reservations
- Named one of 2019’s 50 Startups to Watch
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain’s Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, and vision insurance)
- 401k + employer match
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Commuter benefit in the form of pretax (US)
Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Tock, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.