- New York
- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
Website Content Data team’s mission is to provide a reliable platform for the internal and external customers to manage & search their content. We build Java based, low latency, and high throughput distributed content management systems at scale. We are responsible for maintaining the core data structure that represents any Squarespace website.
In this role, your contributions will have a direct impact on millions of customers & users that visit Squarespace websites every year. We firmly believe that design is not merely “how it looks” but “how it works.” With this in mind, our backend engineers work on product features that create the most seamless, integrated products possible.
An engineer on the Website Content Data team is expected to be a hands-on technical contributor, possess strong communication skills, display leadership qualities, and be enthusiastic to take on new problems. It is not uncommon for an engineer on the content data team to advise various product engineering teams at Squarespace on best practices to build content management workflows. As a team lead, you’d lead a team of 3-5 engineers, and would report to the Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees.
- Write server-side code, create robust high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly
- Design and build new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Mentor junior engineers on the team, actively participate in code reviews, and provide higher level technical guidance as necessary
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to deliver strong customer-focused experiences
- Ensure the reliability of systems critical to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, pragmatic code)
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Strong Object Oriented development skills and proficiency in Java or another Object Oriented language
- Experience managing teams of 2-5 engineers
- Experience developing large-scale software
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable and reliable code
- Strong understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.