- New York
- Date Posted
- Aug. 9, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
At Squarespace, we enable millions to build a brand and transact with their customers online. That means delivering impactful, reliable software products to our customers. Technical writers contribute to that mission by maximizing engineer efficiency through technical documentation.
We’re looking for a manager to grow our Technical Writing team in size, influence, and individual skill. You’ll work closely with your direct reports, as well as managers and directors across Engineering to ensure your team delivers excellent technical docs.
This role sits in Engineering and reports to the Director of TPM and Technical Writing.
In this role you’ll
- Lead a team of 2-3 technical writers responsible for engineering documentation
- Expand the existing TW team by hiring and managing talented technical writers
- Provide the vision for Technical Writing at Squarespace
- Translate that vision into strategic direction and goals
- Build semiannual team roadmaps with your team
- Lead the development and continuous improvement of documentation processes, standards, and tools
- Guide your direct reports on high-priority projects, using project management and coaching techniques, and ensuring documentation is of excellent quality and completed in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with key stakeholders across Engineering, including Engineering Leadership, to plan and identify documentation deliverables that meet audiences’ needs
What we’re looking for
- 2+ years of experience managing a team of technical writers
- 7+ years related experience in technical writing
- A passion for leading and developing others
- A strong commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration, and trust
- Experience managing compensation, building out career levels, recruiting, and hiring
- Outcome-focused thinking with the ability to foster ideas, navigate complexity, and work autonomously
- Ability to efficiently and effectively navigate ambiguity to identify audiences’ needs
- Audience-centric, effective, and impeccable writing skills
- Familiarity with docs-as-code tools and practices, such as Git, GitHub, Bitbucket, static site generators, and Markdown
- Ability to work in a flexible work environment
In your first three months, you’ll
- Get to know your direct reports and the projects and tools they work with
- Begin building relationships with Engineering directors and managers, and understanding their documentation needs and priorities
- Understand Squarespace’s goals and strategy
- Start taking on management responsibilities, such as recruiting and performance management
- Begin setting long-term strategic priorities for your team
- Review and improve the TW career levels and staffing plans
- Begin drafting your career development plan with your manager
Working as a Technical Writer at Squarespace
Technical Writers at Squarespace increase engineer efficiency by communicating expertly through the written word, working collaboratively, being radically candid, and leaving egos at the door. We treat processes and tools not as ends, but as means to reach business goals and empower our customers. We lift each other up and provide equal opportunities for growth.
Technical Writers at Squarespace also have the option to contribute to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to them, for example, joining or leading Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending (currently virtual) team events, and joining game nights.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
- Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
- Thank you to our friends at Awaken for inspiring the structure of this job description.