- Date Posted
- Sep. 29, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build and scale the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely “how it looks” but “how it works.” With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to an Engineering Team Lead in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to plan a safe return to our offices for those who need it, while providing flexibility for all of our employees. While many of our engineers are based in NYC, we have teams that accommodate fully remote work. Please select which state you hope to reside in via the dropdown with our approved locations below.
What is Presence?
Presence teams build products that help Squarespace customers bring their brands to life—from registering domains to creating and publishing websites using our desktop and mobile CMS platform. As a member of our growing Presence organization, you will work with product managers, engineers, and designers to deliver software products to our customers.
We have multiple teams that are hiring, and throughout the interview process our goal will be to learn more about your technical skills, the kind of work that excites you, and where you want to take your career. Here are a few examples of teams that are hiring:
- Assets: The Assets team enables users to easily and efficiently manage their images and videos throughout the Squarespace ecosystem. This team would be a good fit if you’re interested in collaborating with many product teams and expanding our users’ ability to organize additional asset types.
- Brand System: The mission of the Brand team is to empower our customers to build, grow, and express their brand, helping them stay consistent at every step of the journey. We help our customers stand out because we understand that a customer’s brand needs more than logos, fonts, and colors — they also need the building blocks we provide that enable them to easily express their story beautifully and in engaging ways.
- Website Content Components: The Website Content Components team is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help support the services and pipelines that ensure storing, retrieving and rendering content components, which in turn, power Squarespace’s overall user experience. The team has a keen sense of product appreciation and works to ensure that, through every phase of their lifecycle, these systems are reliable.
- Core Layout: If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product programs and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! The Core Layout team manages how our customers edit and arrange block-based content on Squarespace websites. As a senior backend engineer, you will help transform how our users lay out blocks on their page, redefining a core user experience in the product. By helping us evolve how our layout system works, you’ll shape how every user builds expressive layouts on their site.
- Revenue Systems: Revenue Systems is looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to help us achieve our mission to deliver the purchase to revenue platform that supports rapid growth organically, internationally, and via acquisition at Squarespace. The team is focused on building a scalable, feature driven subscription platform that accelerates product delivery throughout the organization.
- We have multiple teams looking for engineers excited about doing fullstack work! If this sounds like you, please note this in your application.
- You will write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly.
- You will develop new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services in Java
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, readable code).
- Actively contribute to team and company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Development experience in Java, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software is preferred.
- An understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability is a plus.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Private rooftop access
- Pre Tax commuter benefits
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- Hack week twice per year!
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.