- New York
- Date Posted
- Nov. 8, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
At Squarespace, we enable millions to build a brand and transact with their customers online. That means delivering impactful, reliable software products to our customers. As a member of our small and rapidly growing Technical Writing team, you’ll have the opportunity to influence how we work and to make a significant, recognizable contribution by maximizing engineer efficiency.
We’re looking for a senior technical writer to initiate and drive several internal technical documentation projects in the Data Engineering organization. This role reports to the Technical Writing Manager in Engineering. Responsible for the technology that powers all Squarespace products, the Squarespace Engineering team is comprised of some of the most talented individuals in the industry. From our content management system to our mobile apps, our engineers are constantly developing creative solutions to help customers establish beautiful digital identities.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees. While many of our engineers are based in NYC, we have teams that accommodate fully remote work. Please select which state you hope to reside in via the dropdown with our approved locations below.
In this role you’ll
- Create clear, accurate, consumable technical content for a software engineering audience
- Coach engineers and teams on documentation workflows and technical writing best practices
- Recommend improvements to documentation practices and standards
- Partner with engineers and perform individual research to learn new technologies and inform your work
- In the first three months, you’ll:
- Build a confident and comfortable relationship with engineers and leaders
- Begin owning 1-2 cross-team documentation projects, contributing content, and identifying future deliverables
- Begin crafting your career development plan with your manager
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrated experience (5+ years) writing and delivering exemplary technical documentation for engineering audiences; projects include high level of complexity and broad scale
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Experience documenting data systems; experience with the following is a plus:
- Big data tooling, such as Hadoop
- Google Cloud Platform
- Orchestration tooling, such as Kubernetes and Airflow
- Streaming queue systems, such as Kafka
- Familiarity with docs-as-code philosophy and tools including GitHub, static site generators, and lightweight markup languages (Markdown, AsciiDoc, or reStructuredText)
- Ability to learn technical concepts and software products quickly
- Ability to explain complex ideas in logical steps, as appropriate to the audience
- Outcome-focused thinking with the ability to foster ideas, navigate ambiguity, and work autonomously in a fast-paced environment
- Effective collaboration with remote and distributed teams
- Strong commitment to fostering a culture of inclusion, collaboration, and trust
Working as a Technical Writer at Squarespace
Technical writers at Squarespace increase engineer efficiency by communicating expertly through the written word, working collaboratively, being radically candid, and leaving egos at the door. We treat processes and tools not as ends, but as means to reach business goals and empower our customers. We lift each other up and provide equal opportunities for growth.
Technical writers at Squarespace also have the option to contribute to Squarespace culture in ways meaningful to them, for example, joining or leading Employee Resource Groups, planning or attending (currently virtual) team events, and joining game nights.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.