- New York
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
Squarespace Media Platform team is looking for backend engineers to build and maintain the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications. We are looking for a software engineer who is a self-starter, highly motivated and eager to learn the newest software engineering technologies and apply to your daily work. You enjoy building new systems under the guidance of senior engineers and also enjoy maintaining existing systems, you are result oriented, excellent problem solver and quick to action. It is also desirable that you have experience in distributed systems, micro-services and cloud solutions. You will report to the Media Platform Engineering Manager in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees.
- Develop new system features/modules under the guidance of senior engineers.
- Learn and master current system architecture design and technologies used.
- Maintain and improve existing systems and services, participate in team-wide on-call rotation.
- Work with other engineers, designers and product managers to provide the technical solutions for customer needs.
- Ensure the reliability of systems to users and businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Contribute to team standards.
- 2+ years industry or practical experience developing software using Java or other OO language.
- Experience with web service (e.g. RESTful API) development and micro-service architecture.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures and algorithms.
- Self-starter, be curious and possess ability to learn new concepts and technologies quickly. Strong interest in backend development.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong working ethics, and strong desire to excel and achieve excellency.
- Enjoy working with senior engineers, learning from and being mentored by them.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability. Experience with SQL.
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace in New York office
- Commuter benefit in the form of reduced tax (Ireland) and pretax (US)
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.