- United States
- Date Posted
- Oct. 12, 2021
- Data Science
- Business Applications
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 60 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. The products and services are focused on enterprise knowledge sharing, technical recruiting and developer marketing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names.
As a Data Analyst, you will become a goto expert of the data behind our public platform and how it ties to our business objectives. You’ll partner closely with key stakeholders throughout the product and engineering organizations to deliver key insights and strategic input that ensures Stack Overflow remains the most trusted and most innovative knowledge sharing community in the world. Critical to this role is an ability to turn business requests into technical requirements, experience analyzing large datasets and translating it into compelling business stories, and above all a passion for creating world class experiences at scale.
What you’ll do:
- Develop a deep expertise of our public platform and the data ecosystem that supports it.
- Regularly meet with business stakeholders from product, engineering, and many other groups across the business to discuss ongoing initiatives, review analyses, and plan future initiatives.
- Analyze every step of the user’s journey through our product, answering business questions while also keeping a vigilant eye for new and compelling observations to bring back to the business.
- Discuss data “blind spots” and enhancement requests with business partners, and brainstorm solutions. Subsequently scope the necessary work and set proper expectations on when solutions can be delivered based on priority and effort.
- Collaborate with other analysts throughout the business to ensure data is consistent and reliable, proactively identifying issues and participating in resolution where needed.
- Prepare and deliver business requirement reviews to management regarding progress and blockers.
What we need to see:
- 5+ years in an analyst/specialist role working with large datasets, at least some of which were related to user behaviors with cloud products.
- 3+ years experience with SQL, Excel, and ETL systems, using databases to summarize data and answer business questions.
- Experience applying statistical concepts to measure and interpret tests on web platforms.
- Expertise building dashboards and reporting for stakeholders, including actionable detailed reports for front line stakeholders, and high level reporting to help drive decision making at the executive level.
- An extensive track record of successful cross functional project experience and an innate ability to develop strong partnerships with peers throughout the organization.
- A natural ability to “think of your feet” and problem solve autonomously. Motivated to work through ambiguity and overcome challenges.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, turning complex data analysis into actionable business insights that non technical stakeholders can interpret.
- A proven track record of scoping and delivering solutions on time and to specifications.
- Experience working at companies or with datasets involving community or network engagement at scale is a plus.
- Experience applying agile methodologies to larger or more complex projects is a plus.
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and paid sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- 401K match
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
- If your role is not located in one of our offices…. We’ll reimburse you up to $2,000 to set up a great home office.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll be in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunches, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening voluntarily Fall 2021), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
- Employment is conditioned upon successfully completing a background check and having the appropriate legal right to work.
- Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.