- Date Posted
- Nov. 23, 2021
- Design & UI
- Business Applications
(United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
Stack Overflow exists to serve developers and technologists - with over 17 million question and answer pairs, and 50 million unique visitors a month, the site has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. As a UX researcher on our team, you’ll have a major impact on how we build products by creating insightful, actionable user research to guide our strategy and execution. Some recent projects we’ve been working on include:
- Creating an inclusive and engaging platform for the global community of developers and technologists, while modernizing our interface and user experience
- Collectives™ on Stack Overflow, our newest product offering focused on bringing together interested people and a range of relevant content around a specific domain or topic
- Growing our products, Stack Overflow for Teams and for Enterprise, which give organizations a private, secure home for their team’s questions and answers.
You’ll be joining the Reach & Relevance team which focuses on driving awareness and engagement between technologists and relevant companies around their products and services. The team already has an established UX Research function and a strong product development process that pays careful attention to user needs. You’ll have the opportunity to further craft the research process at Stack Overflow.
You’ll work with a wide variety of people here at Stack; everyone from product managers and designers, to community managers and customer success. You’ll help your team understand the unmet needs of our clients and users, and use this insight to inform our product strategy to make sure we are solving real problems.
We’re looking for someone with plenty of experience doing UX research, and who is excited to continue defining and evangelizing user research within our company. You’ll have an immediate impact on existing projects and you’ll quickly expand into longer-term strategic research of your own devising. Ideally, we are looking for someone with a mix of qualitative and quantitative research skills, with particularly strong quantitative skills. You should also have experience leading research for a range of products.
Skills & Requirements
What you’ll do:
- Partner with product teams on a fast-moving product development process within which you will plan and execute pragmatic, insightful, product-focused research and deliver clear, actionable insight
- Directly guide product strategy by surfacing unmet developer and customer needs and working with your team to develop these into concepts that will grow our products
- Participate in and grow our research ops practices by doing things like managing our relationship with study participants across all our products (focusing primarily on specialized areas like developers, recruiters, HR professionals, and marketers)
- Dedicate time to furthering research as a practice within the company - through teaching, tooling, and introducing processes where needed and appropriate.
What we want to see:
- At least five years of experience conducting UX research, including hands-on, primary research
- Direct experience with quantitative methods (e.g., surveys, split testing, data analysis, etc.) and familiarity with some qualitative methodologies also (e.g., user interviews, usability testing, focus groups)
- Experience with both generative and evaluative product research
- Experience running research in a variety of environments (ideally for B2B and B2C products), and with a variety of different types of users
- A nice to have would be experience with EdTech projects or products
- High levels of organization and ability to organize work across multiple product teams
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and an ability to explain research outcomes to a wide audience
- A desire to and/or experience with working in a distributed environment, where most team members are remote. Stack Overflow has a long history of being remote-first, and will continue to operate this way.
- If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
- We don’t consider applications without cover letters - please make sure to include yours, and make sure to tell us what about Stack Overflow (and not just the role) interests you in working here. We promise - we read every single one.
- We’re a distributed, remote team and you’ll be part of a work culture that emphasizes online & asynchronous communication with minimal meetings and ceremonies
- We’re generally very flexible on working hours, though we do ask everyone on the team to maintain an overlap with (at least) 10AM - 1PM US Eastern time
Some of what you can expect in return:
- Competitive Base Salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Long-term Incentives
- Completely free in-network health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for technologists to learn, share their knowledge, collaborate, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers and technologists visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
Our products and tools help developers and technologists in life and at work. These include Stack Overflow for Teams, which focuses on knowledge management and collaboration, and Reach & Relevance, which focuses on developer marketing, community development, and employer branding.
We believe in building inclusive teams where we empower and support people to solve meaningful problems. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities and we have people who work remotely all over the world.
Our core values guide our work:
- Keep Community at Our Center: Community is at the heart of everything we do. Nurture healthy communities where everyone is encouraged to learn and give back.
- Adopt a Customer-First Mindset: Authentically serve our customers by empowering, listening and collaborating with our fellow Stackers.
- Be Flexible and Inclusive: We do our best work when a diverse group of people collaborate in an environment of respect and trust. Create space for different voices to be heard, and allow flexibility in how people work.
- Be Transparent: Communicate openly and honestly, both inside and outside the company. Encourage transparency from others by being empathetic, reliable, and acting with integrity.
- Empower People to Deliver Outstanding Results: Give people space to get their job done, support them when they need it, and practice blameless accountability.
- Learn, Share, and Grow: Adopt a Growth Mindset. Be curious and eager to learn. Aim for ethical, sustainable, long-term growth, both personally and in the company
- Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.