- South America
- North America
- Date Posted
- Aug. 16, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Business Applications
We are targeting GMT +1 to GMT -8 in the countries identified with core overlapping hours of 10am-1pm Eastern Standard
(North America, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Spain, Austria, Slovenia, Czech R, Portugal, Netherlands, Switzerland)
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world's developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing. Our clientele includes Google, Microsoft, Bloomberg, and many other Fortune 500 names.
As our Director of Core Engineering, you will be responsible for leading the engineering organization that creates the scaleable, reusable backend services and platform building blocks that enable our products and organization to grow at Stack Overflow. We are looking for a technical leader who’s passionate about building highly performant, well-designed backend services and platforms that enable us to move quickly to deliver new products to our ecosystem. You’ll formulate, socialize, and execute our platform engineering strategy, enabling our teams to push our products to the next level and being a key individual in setting the engineering culture for Stack Overflow.
What you’ll do:
- Develop, drive, and execute the long term vision and strategy for the core backend services and platforms at Stack Overflow
- Standardize quality measurements by establishing metrics, building tools, and creating processes
- Deliver Stack Overflow’s backend services and platforms that power product experiences
- Manage, lead, retain, and grow a team of backend engineers while partnering closely with product engineering, reliability engineering, data platform, design systems, product management, marketing, and other internal partners at Stack Overflow
What you’ll need to have:
- 4+ years of technology leadership experience focused on scaled web applications, comfortable leading and managing widely distributed teams
- Deep technical leadership experience in design, implementation, and support of Platform level services that are highly reliable, flexible, and scalable
- Experience leading discussions and making decisions on the tradeoffs between differing engineering approaches, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- An understanding of Stack Overflow and other Stack Exchange network sites
- Ability to make decisions at high velocity
- A passion and proven track record for recruiting and managing / coaching software engineers of all levels
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our office (re-opening September 6, 2021, but with no requirement to return to the office for the rest of the year), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams).
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products
Legally, we need you to know this: Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this: We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.