- United States
- Date Posted
- Dec. 26, 2021
- Software Engineering
- Open Source
We’re on a mission to free our customers to see the invisible and achieve the impossible. We unlock the value of distributed data by making it fast and easy to access, no matter where it lives. With Starburst, teams can lower the total cost of their infrastructure and analytics investments, prevent vendor lock-in, and use the existing tools that work for their business. Today more than 150 leading organizations trust us to make better decisions faster.
Though Starburst has achieved a unicorn status and raised $164M in venture funding from top investors, we were founded in a rather unusual way with customers and revenue from the very beginning! We operate globally in 10 countries and are proud to be named a Best Place to Work. Come join our team of All-Stars!
About the role
As adopters of the open-core model, Starburst the open source community fuels Starburst’s success and growth. We are looking for an experienced Developer Advocate or Software Engineer to grow our Developer Relations team and help make Trino the most usable distributed query engine in the universe.
As a Developer Advocate for Starburst, you will help developers be successful using Trino and Starburst technologies and feel awesome while they do it. You’re eager to be part of a diverse team with big goals, and you have an unremittingly positive attitude. It is your responsibility to understand the current developer experience from novice to expert and create and define solutions and materials to address any gaps in how users become familiar with and improve their skills on Trino.
You will spend time engaging with developers to help solve their issues and then write blogs, documentation, or do a livestream to discuss how to overcome these challenges. Once it is safe to do so, you will travel to different cities and speak to different groups about Trino and Starburst, as well as, speak at virtual and hybrid events. Developer Relations aims to grow the community and you will be goaled on demonstrating growth in community size, brand affinity, and trust across Trino and Starburst. Ultimately, you will help developers achieve our mission: free teams from the tyranny of data lock-in.
- Write sample code, build creative new conference talks, make screencasts, make compelling tutorial videos, and write some of the best blog posts the data analytics world has ever seen
- Dig into source code for community and internally developed systems to collect technical details for training materials and documentation.
- Create developer-facing documentation and training materials for Trino’s connectors and core engine to foster the growth of our developer community.
- Facilitate and engage in discussions with the community of developers, ops professionals, and other data enthusiasts around the world, teaching and inspiring them to apply distributed query engine technologies more effectively
- Help other developers by interacting on Trino Community Slack, Discourse, Stack Overflow, Twitter, GitHub, YouTube, or places where developers come for help online
- Represent the developer community to the Starburst product and engineering teams, making sure that everything we build is easy to learn and sensible to use
- You have some software engineering experience
- You’re a great writer, and can create engaging, on-brand technical blog posts. Able to transform dry technical topics into engaging, informative and interesting educational materials
- You can write top-quality code samples and mini applications to demonstrate the technologies you want to teach
- You can record screencasts and instructional videos of your talks and articles to be watched by large audiences
- You’re a fun, confident speaker at conferences and meetups—even online
- You know something about analytics, SQL, and maybe even Trino
Nice to have
- You have programmed JVM language programmer (Java preferred)
- Prior experience with data & analytics technologies
- Working knowledge of big data technologies, like the Hadoop ecosystem
- Working knowledge of deploying services on any cloud platform
- Working knowledge of Docker and/or Kubernetes
At Starburst, we’re constantly striving towards building a place where people come first by creating an environment of transparency, honesty, and respect. We take care of our global workforce by making sure employees enjoy competitive salaries and attractive stock grants, remote-friendly work options, access to quality and affordable insurance, and flexible and generous paid time off to start a family, travel, or just relax!
Headquartered in Boston MA with offices in Warsaw and London and employees across Europe and the Americas, we are committed to hiring where the talent is.
Starburst provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.