- San Mateo, CA
- Date Posted
- May. 26, 2021
- Design & UI
We’re a company by gamers, for gamers. We believe that carefully crafted and deeply compelling games are timeless and ultimately prevail over fine-tuned shallow addiction cycles. Our mission is to make deeply engaging and technically outstanding games, while embracing all the opportunities of new platforms, new business models and a games industry in flux.
We are looking for ambitious and highly skilled people who share our passion for making outstanding games. You will need to be ready to take on the challenge of being part of a small but experienced and ambitious team, not be afraid to get your hands dirty, have a can-do attitude and a willingness to go the extra mile. For those up to the challenge, it’s going to be a thrilling ride.
Our studio is looking for a User Experience Director to create an exceptional UX experience in Catalyst Black and all future projects. You’ll be working directly with leadership to own all UX we’re creating at the studio and make sure it supports the overall vision for our games. You’ll be the UX craft owner at the studio across all aspects - wireframing, prototyping and usability research. You’ll level up our existing UI artist and feature designers through mentorship and training.
Who You Are
- You’re able to communicate highly experiential concepts visually through wireframes, mockups and flow charts. You can confidently tell the story of a player’s journey through a feature, articulating player needs and the flows that support them.
- You understand our target audience through user research and usability testing. You help the team understand how players actually interact with the game and get us past our preconceived notions.
- You’re an expert on current UX conventions within free-to-play games (mobile and PC/Console) and can easily cite relevant examples. You possess deep knowledge of how metagame systems support a core loop. You know how to take complexity and break it into intuitive interactions.
- You can build a team vocabulary for UX that’s distinct from how we talk about UI, so we don’t get confused between how something looks and how it feels to play.
- You think deeply about the convergence of UX across platforms, and what successful cross-platform UX feels like.
- You love thinking about how to successfully onboard players to combine fun with learning deep, complex systems
- What a Typical Day Might Look Like
- Work directly with our Chief Product Officer, sharing your current wireframes and incorporating any feedback.
- Facilitate a player journey mapping session where you step through each persona and scope out the flows they’ll need to use a key feature we’re working on.
- Supported by Marketing and Production, talk directly to our players and conduct usability testing on an early release of Catalyst Black before it goes live to the entire community.
- Collaborate with our UI artist to create beautiful visuals to compliment the wireframes you created for a feature.
- 5+ years of UX experience designing features for successful mobile free-to-play games
- Familiar with most standard design and prototyping software (Adobe XD, Figma, Invision, Flinto, Axure, Framer, Sketch)
- Comfortable with game engines; can implement greybox UX
- Have directly managed other UX designers
- Ability to illustrate; can create appealing and dynamic visual targets
- Understanding of broader UX trends in tech that are likely to impact games
- BA/BS in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Psychology or related field
- Please provide a portfolio link with your application.