- Belgrade, RS
- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
- Business Intelligence
What is Sylvera anyway?
In less than a year, Sylvera has built a partnership with NASA, secured investment from Europe’s top VC fund, and built an extraordinary team.
Sylvera is bringing transparency to the opaque voluntary carbon markets by using satellite data and machine learning algorithms to accurately assess the performance of carbon offset projects. This transparency helps scale a global market primed for 15-100x growth in the coming 10 years.
What will I be doing?
As a GIS Analyst you will produce shapefiles and leverage GIS analytics to analyze project areas. The key objective of this role is to deliver data used by the Carbon Ratings team within the production pipeline, while ensuring that this data is accurate, timely, and reliable. You will be responsible for implementing QA and production optimisation strategies to maximise efficiency. Successful candidates will be able to query data to identify errors, perform root cause analysis, and escalate to next level review when appropriate.
The Carbon Ratings team is responsible for collecting, aggregating, and analysing data for our ratings products, encompassing differentiated data, our ratings platform, and research products. We apply a critical lens to both the qualitative and quantitative data used in ratings products to assess elements such as modeling assumptions, project risk, and biodiversity. As a team, we tackle challenges related to data reliability, standardisation, and effective data harmonisation.
- A bachelor’s degree in Geography or STEM field with GIS experience
- Knowledge of remote sensing data both in processing techniques and open-source datasets (added bonus is any experience in processing forestry-related biophysical datasets)
- Articulate and fluent communication in English
- Knowledge of GIS digitizing and georeferencing using QGIS or similar tools
- Excellent attention to detail, ability to operate independently and a positive attitude
- A passion for climate justice and a desire to ensure nature is properly valued and protected
- Experience working with vector and raster datasets
- Understanding of supervised/unsupervised learning algorithms
- Experience working in large international teams
- Any Python and/or SQL experience, particularly for automating GIS tasks
- Competitive salary, equity in a fast growing startup and a local benefits package
- Full training from the current climate analytics team
- Exposure to cutting edge geospatial and climate models
- Experience working on a cross functional and collaborative team