- Date Posted
- Jun. 1, 2021
- Data Science
What does Sylvera do?
In less than a year, Sylvera has built a partnership with NASA, secured investment from Europe’s top VC fund, and built an extraordinary team.
Sylvera is bringing transparency to the opaque voluntary carbon markets by using satellite data and machine learning algorithms to accurately assess the performance of carbon offset projects. This transparency helps scale a global market primed for 15-100x growth in the coming 10 years.
What’s my impact?
You will support Sylvera’s Ratings team - managing the data pipeline that underpins our offset ratings. You will help the team build efficient and systematic data processes, which will ultimately allow our end-users to make informed decisions on their carbon offsetting strategies.
What’s my day-to-day?
- Designing geospatial data pipelines, and the infrastructure needed to deliver this data to customers
- Building internal tooling to reduce bottlenecks
- Developing proprietary and open-source data feeds
- Working with APIs - both web scraping and using Google API’s to optimise processes / workflows
- Collaborating with other internal teams - Machine Learning, Engineering, etc.
- Learning about Sylvera’s Ratings frameworks, and the underlying carbon offsetting industry
- Communicating complex concepts to non-technical teams / customers
What do I need
- 3+ years experience developing Python in an agile environment
- You know why tests are important, and you incorporate them into your work
- Good knowledge of SQL (ideally Postgres flavour)
- Experience building Docker images
- Experience working with various APIs and integrating their data feeds into wider data model
- Be a good communicator - you love to teach people techy stuff!
- Adaptability and autonomy - weʼre a small startup, things change a lot and fast
- To care about the future of the planet - you want to solve climate change in the highest leverage way possible
- Experience working with geospatial data in Python and/or PostGIS
- Working knowledge of SQLAlchemy
- Understanding of CI/CD from practice
- Familiarity with Airflow
Feel free to apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. As long as you’re a quick learner, and are excited about changing the carbon markets for the better, we’re happy to support you as you come up to speed with our tech stack.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Highly competitive + employee equity
You also get paid to save the world, alongside an amazing team, with a 50/50 gender balance and 12 nationalities.