- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Aug. 24, 2021
- Engineering QA
The importance of achieving global carbon emission targets cannot be overstated. It would be simple to argue, in fact, that carbon neutrality is the single most critical and unifying issue facing humanity. While good intentions absolutely exist, accurately and independently informing the growth and direction of carbon offset markets to initiate and measure the most impactful, useful projects, represents a considerable challenge.
Sylvera supply data that measures and predicts the effectiveness of offset programmes. Using a combination of Geospatial satellite data and Machine Learning algorithms, our web-based platform provides customers with an overall rating of the performance of each project. Similar to a ratings agency, our platform rates each project from AAA (Excellent) through to D (failing). This data in turn gives absolute confidence to Corporations and Exchange markets that they are on track to achieve net Carbon Emission goals.
In term of client services, we offer two products. Our web platform serves performance and quality ratings alongside interactive mapping and data integration tools that enable future projects; while our API serves data for presentation and analysis on third-party platforms. You can get detailed insight into our web platform here.
We have recently closed our Seed round of Investment lead by Index Ventures securing $5.8million to help us scale our mission. On top of this we have been awarded a further $2million R&D grant from a UK government programme run in association with UCLA, NASA-JPL and UCL and have a number of high-profile Angel Investors. We are now very focussed on our scale across every department within the organisation including Engineering, Product, Sales, Marketing, People and Operations.
We are now 100% in growth mode. Over the last few months, a lot of the hiring activity has been within Software and Data Engineering. With these teams now semi-formed, our focus is now on building out our QA capability. We are looking to hire a team of Quality Engineers to work alongside the Engineering teams and support them on driving automation and best practise.
As the first hire within this newly formed team, it will be your responsibility to build the Test Strategy, Processes and Frameworks that govern QE across the Engineering department. You will work with Engineering teams, making key decisions around testing strategy and tooling, and coach team members to deliver this.
Upon joining, expect this role to be very hands-on – a blank canvas for you to truly stamp your mark! To give you some more context on what you can expect…
- During your first month you will focus on auditing what we currently have in place from a QE perspective. During this time, you will start forming the test strategy and spend time forging meaningful relationships with your new teammates. By the end of this month, you will hopefully have a very understanding of the business, the functions, the tech, the people and your intentions from a QE perspective over the next year.
- The next 3-6 months will be focussed on starting to build the automation frameworks that will support the platforms and pipelines and start to hire the first Quality Engineers into your team.
- By the end of the first year, we would hope that you’ve got the Automation frameworks built, your team of Quality Engineers trained to a standard that you are proud of and the overall engineering team starting to push towards a quality-first mindset.
- To care about the future of the planet - you want to solve climate change in the highest leverage way possible.
- Prior experience working within a small engineering team, taking responsibility for all automation testing efforts.
- You will have worked in an environment whereby you know what ‘good’ likes from a Quality Engineering perspective and be confident of creating an effective Test Strategy that delivers upon our needs.
- A willingness / sense of enjoyment from getting your hands dirty; working with the engineering team to drive best practise, and also to build the automation frameworks.
- You will have prior experience building End-to-End Automation frameworks using a tool such as Cypress (or other). This experience could otherwise be demonstrated with prior experience with a front-end Automation tool eg Selenium WebDriver, and an API testing tool such as Postman or Rest Assured.
- It is important you are confident writing test scripts, ideally using Python, however we are happy to consider Java, C# or PHP.
- Strong communication skills are important given a key part of this role will involve conversing about technical concepts to be both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- You will have a quality-first mentality and have held roles previously where you have helped shape a test-first mentality.
The role represents an amazing opportunity for a confident / experience Quality Engineer to take their first step into a Lead-level position.
Given the Greenfield nature of this role, you will get the chance to put your stamp on our Quality Engineering function; opportunities such as this are rare. You will 100% OWN Quality Engineering across Sylvera.
Not only will get you to own the Test Strategy, but you will also get the chance to select all tooling – something we’ve purposely left ‘vague’ on this JD.
Finally, the chance to join a mission-driven business at the early stages of scale. As well as generous base salary, we will also be offering a generous piece of equity which we expect to mature significantly over the next few years.