- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Jun. 22, 2021
- Life Sciences R&D
What does Sylvera do?
In less than a year, Sylvera has built a partnership with NASA, secured investment from Europe’s top VC fund, and built an extraordinary team.
Sylvera is bringing transparency to the opaque voluntary carbon markets by using satellite data and machine learning algorithms to accurately assess the performance of carbon offset projects. This transparency helps scale a global market primed for 15-100x growth in the coming 10 years.
What will you do in the role?
As a Nature-Based Solutions Associate you will assess the quality of carbon offsets and quantify their performance as it relates to sequestering carbon or reducing emissions. You will apply a highly commercial mindset to determining the validity of claims made about projects, and back it up with proof through quantitative measures and financial modeling of alternative land use scenario analyses. You will report to the Carbon Ratings / NBS Team Lead and will be crucial in the further development of our offset project ratings methodology.
Successful candidates will have a professional experience in investment banking, private equity, management consulting, or a similar fast-paced environment. Preferred industry experience in the extractive industries (oil & gas, mining), natural resources, industrials, or agriculture. Exceptional financial modeling (DCF, Scenario Analyses, Portfolio Valuation); Advanced VBA and Python skills required. In addition, candidates should be highly self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and dynamic, with the ability to execute independently and produce high quality deliverables in tight time frames. Deep understanding of net zero and voluntary carbon markets required.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Analyst or Associate level in investment banking, private equity, or management consulting
- Extensive knowledge in the following industries - Natural Resources, Oil & Gas, Mining, Industrials, Manufacturing, Agriculture, Climate
- Corporate Finance / Private Equity background with international deal experience
- Management Consulting experience with policy / commercial knowledge of NBS and Net Zero
- Exceptional financial modelling (DCF, Scenario Analyses, Portfolio Valuation); quantitatively-oriented with strong commercial mindset
- Advanced VBA and Python skills required
- University degrees in quantitative disciplines
- Keen ability to pick up new commercial frameworks and apply critical viewpoint to evaluate alternative land use scenarios’ economics
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth
- Comfortable in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
We’re also excited if you have:
- Professional or academic experience in carbon markets or international climate policy
- Exposure to voluntary carbon offsetting deal flow and structuring
- What if you’re a partial fit?
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Competitive salary; options; matched pension.