- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Dec. 26, 2021
Sylvera is bringing transparency to the opaque voluntary carbon markets by using satellite data and machine learning algorithms to radically improve carbon accounting. This allows us to produce independent ratings of the quality of carbon crediting projects, which is bringing transparency to and catalysing exponential growth in carbon markets, which are critical to addressing climate change.
Sylvera has rapidly built partnerships with the World Bank, NASA, world-leading carbon exchanges, and first-class academic institutions. We’ve also secured significant investment from Europe’s top VC fund, and built an extraordinarily diverse, interdisciplinary and lovely team.
Given Sylvera’s highly mission driven approach, policy plays a key role in what we do. The policy team leads on partnerships with public bodies (such as the various governments and the World Bank) and develops externally-facing policy positions on the role of carbon markets and nature-based solutions to climate change.
What will I be doing?
We’re looking for a mission-driven, experienced and dynamic Policy Senior Associate to join our policy team. Your mission will be to bring deep knowledge of the global policy landscape, oversee the development and implementation of Sylvera’s policies, and build productive, long-term relationships with key senior policy stakeholders.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating the development and implementation of Sylvera policy
- Analysing key policy and regulatory developments and assessing the implications for Sylvera’s work, and communicating those insights to internal and external audiences with varying levels of expertise
- Helping to build and shape Sylvera’s policy team
- Build and maintain strong, long-term and highly productive working relationships with a wide range of senior policy stakeholders in key jurisdictions and within the international system
- Helping guide Sylvera’s policy strategy and positions
- Writing succinct, engaging content for blogs, articles and publications
- Representing Sylvera externally, including potentially to the media
- Those who are successful will progress quickly, either as individual contributors or following a management path.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a demonstrable passion for tackling climate change
- Has at least four years’ relevant experience in carbon markets, climate policy, nature-based solutions, green finance, or similar
- Has a background in one of the following types of roles, or similar:
- Policy, programming or negotiations within a national government or international organisation
- Finance, consulting or law
- Think tank or NGO
- Has experience of managing people and building high-performing teams
- Has a track record of going above and beyond, thinking outside the box and achieving impact
- Has experience of working internationally
- Competitive salary
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- Tech needed to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave
- Enhanced Mat/Pat leave
- Monthly Team Lunches
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 (gross) WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support
- Monthly team social budget
- Remote, ideally within three time zones of London (and with access to an office in London if you wanted to come in).
- What if you’re a partial fit?
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.