- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Jan. 11, 2022
- Research & Science
In less than a year, Sylvera has built partnerships with the world-leading carbon exchanges, first-class academic institutions, secured investment from Europe’s top VC fund, and built an extraordinary team.
Sylvera is bringing transparency to the opaque voluntary carbon markets by using satellite data and machine learning algorithms to accurately assess the impact of carbon offset projects. This transparency will catalyse exponential growth in a market which is critical to addressing climate change.
What will I be doing?
Having found early product-market fit in a nascent, rapidly growing space, we’re now scaling our technical teams at pace. We’re looking for a mission-driven, Soil Carbon Scientist to join our research function and bring science around carbon science and agriculture.
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Leadership of soil carbon modeling activities
- Building, owning and testing carbon estimation models using public, partner and in house data
- Help set long-term strategy for advancing estimation of soil carbon sequestration at field-to-regional scales.
- Collaborate with our Ground Truth and Measurement teams to design experiments to link field measurements and remote sensing data to soil biogeochemical models
- Those who are successful will progress quickly, either as individual contributors or following a management path.
- PhD in soil science, agricultural science etc or MSc and at least 3 years industrial experience in soil carbon modelling
- Deep knowledge of agricultural ecosystems, and land management impacts on soil carbon.
- Understanding and competency in geospatial analysis, modeling.
- Solid software engineering skills in Python
- Demonstrated record of technical impact.
- Is a self-starter who thrives in constantly evolving environments, ideally with early-stage start-up experience
- Cares deeply about the climate and ecosystems of the earth
- Startup experience
- Experience in collaborative software development including version control etc
- Experience or knowledge of machine learning in a geospatial context
- Experience in monitoring carbon sequestration for one or more: peatlands,, forests in addition to agricultural soil carbon
- Knowledge of one or more of: soil microbiology, spectroscopy, gamma ray or ground penetrating radar sensors,
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- Tech needed to do your job
- Unlimited annual leave
- Enhanced Mat/Pat leave
- Monthly Team Lunches
- Company pension
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 (gross) WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support
- Monthly team social budget
- Remote GMT +/-4 or London Based
- What if you’re a partial fit?
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.