- United Kingdom
- Date Posted
- Jan. 11, 2022
- Software Engineering
Sylvera is bringing transparency to the opaque voluntary carbon markets with software, by applying advanced machine learning methods to satellite data. This allows us to accurately assess the performance of carbon offset projects. By providing transparency, Sylvera intends to underpin functioning voluntary carbon markets. This will allow the market to scale, helping to keep the planet under 2 °C of warming, and unlock significant co-benefits for nature and society.
What’s my impact?
You’ll be joining both our ML team and our research team, who are collecting state-of-the-art laser scanning measurements of forests around the world, from both the ground and air. These data are being used to quantify the biomass and carbon stored in trees, with unprecedented accuracy. Your responsibilities will include:
- Processing terrestrial and UAV lidar data acquired across temperate and tropical forests; producing new estimates of tree-, stand- and region-scale above-ground biomass
- Integrating these groundbreaking training data into our ML models, which are being used to infer the state and change of the world’s forests from satellite-derived Earth observation data
- Researching and developing new methods to retrieve quantitative descriptions of individual tree structure and volume from lidar point clouds (e.g., cylinder fitting, meshing etc.), and delivering this in the form of production-level code
- Assisting in the development of ML-based approaches to segmenting individual trees from lidar point clouds (semantic and instance)
What do I need
- Experience (2+ years) developing and implementing object-oriented C++ applications
- Strong knowledge of Python and machine learning libraries, preferably PyTorch
- Understanding of software engineering practices including CDCI and unit testing, and tools such as Git and CircleCI
- You’re a team player and problem solver, with a curious and optimistic mindset
- Experience working with lidar point clouds and/or EO data
- Familiar with machine learning methods including neural networks, deep learning and reinforcement learning
- MSc in computer science or other numerate discipline (including but not limited to maths or physics)
- Worked with containers (e.g., Docker) and cloud computing platforms, preferably AWS
- Working knowledge of CUDA
- Front-end developer skills
- Equity in a rapidly growing startup
- Tech needed to do your job
- 25 days holiday + your birthday off
- Christmas shut down period (PM 24th December 2021, returning to work 2nd Jan 2022)
Coming Jan 2022
- Unlimited annual leave
- Enhanced Mat/Pat leave
- Monthly Team Lunches
- Up to 20 days paid sick leave
- £500 (gross) WFH allowance
- Access to Mental Health support
- Monthly team social budget.
- Remote (with access to an office in London if you wanted to come in)
- What if you’re a partial fit?
We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match this job description.
Equal employment opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.