- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Oct. 25, 2021
Transcend believes everyone should be in control of their personal information. We’re pioneering Data Privacy Infrastructure—a powerful technology that lets individuals reclaim control of their data and ensures companies can easily comply with global data privacy laws.
Our platform enables companies like Robinhood, Patreon, and Indiegogo to provide customers with control over their information. We allow these customers to request, identify, and delete their personal information from a growing suite of integrated companies: from Salesforce to Slack, Facebook, Zendesk, Intercom, and beyond.
This position is for US only.
As Transcend’s first legal leader, you are licensed to practice in the State of California, and you’ll own the legal function and initiatives end-to-end, while working closely with outside counsel, the Transcend executive team, and various sales, partnership, marketing, and product leaders. You will be critical in providing strategic legal guidance for the future state of the business. You will scale a team that can meet the evolving legal and compliance needs. You will join a highly collaborative team that cares deeply about excellence, mission, trust, and fun.
If you are a strong leader with exceptional legal prowess, a teammate with incredible communication skills, and a person passionate about scaling mission-driven businesses, this role is for you.
What You’ll Do
- Lead Transcend’s legal strategy in all shapes and forms.
- Provide strategic legal advice to the leadership team on key matters, with the goal of ensuring that Transcend’s strategies, programs, and policies are created and applied in line with Transcend’s mission.
- Advise on privacy regulations in partnership with product, sales, and marketing teams. Provide in-depth knowledge of CCPA, GDPR, LGPD, VCPDA and more. Expertly translate your privacy understanding into clear, actionable legal guidance for cross-functional teams.
- Draft, review, approve and provide oversight of all company agreements, including agreements for customers, strategic partners, suppliers and vendors, software and technology licensing, data, employment, consulting, and more.
- Spearhead the company’s intellectual property strategy, with a focus on defending strategic IP and negotiating technology licensing agreements.
- Oversee Transcend’s adoption and adherence to various compliance processes and standards. Collaborate with our People Operations teams on employee relations, and core operations.
- Build a lean, world-class Legal function by overseeing legal services, including selection and maintenance of external counsel.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of experience in corporate transactional work, with a preference for at least 2 years of in-house legal experience with a growing business and navigating privacy issues in a commercial context.
- Experience handling data privacy and security matters, with a proven ability to guide a company through the process of achieving GDPR or CCPA compliance.
- Exceptional judgment and the ability to act decisively in situations that necessitate quick and careful analysis.
- Superb communication skills, including the ability to distill complex ideas in a clear, straightforward manner.
- Proven ability to calibrate advice to business risk tolerances.
- Expertise in global privacy laws, regulations, and standard methodologies is a must.
- Experience in the technology industry.
- Exceptional analytical, communication, and written skills.
- Demonstrated history of taking on increasing roles and scope.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and enthusiastic “get stuff done” mentality.
- Demonstrated success collaborating with customers and other external parties on agreements.
- J.D. degree, with excellent academic credentials.
- License to practice law in the State of California required.
- You believe passionately that data rights are human rights, and you envision a world where users everywhere are in control of their personal data.
We believe that turning the principles of data privacy into exercisable human rights is one of the most high-impact ways we can spend our time, and so we’re building an ambitious team that’s passionate about solving important problems and having fun while doing it.
As the best-in-class solution in a new market, Transcend is a fast-paced and exciting workplace. The product evolves quickly to meet new client needs and adapts to the rapidly advancing world of privacy law. As one of Transcend’s earliest hires, you’ll get to work on a wide array of exciting projects.
Transcend is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, inclusion and belonging. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable law.