- San Francisco
- Date Posted
- Sep. 28, 2021
- Software Engineering
Transcend believes everyone should be in control of their personal information. We’re pioneering Data Privacy Infrastructure—a powerful technology that lets individuals reclaim control of their data and ensures companies can easily comply with global data privacy laws.
Our platform enables companies like Robinhood, Patreon, and Indiegogo to provide customers with control over their information. We allow these customers to request, identify, and delete their personal information from a growing suite of integrated companies: from Salesforce to Slack, Facebook, Zendesk, Intercom, and beyond.
This position is for US only.
About the Program
Transcend is offering a 3-month apprenticeship program for candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds who know how to code but have no/minimal professional software engineering experience. The purpose of this program is to help the candidate learn the skills required to transition into a full-time Software Engineer role.
As a Software Engineer Apprentice at Transcend, you will be working closely with an assigned mentor and help us build and maintain the core Transcend application, as well as contribute to new products and initiatives, such as:
- Data Privacy Infrastructure: This is our bread-and-butter. We help companies process data requests from their customers by directly integrating with 3rd party systems through a proxy application called Sombra, which encrypts the data end-to-end. You’ll work closely with this application and build features on top of it.
- Consent Management: A firewall for the frontend, which will regulate requests (and therefore data collection) based on the user’s privacy preferences. Watch our PEPR talk to learn more!
- Data Mapping: A tool for discovering where our customers store their customer’s PII (personally identifiable information). We help our customers answer questions like: who are all the vendors that process sensitive information? What data is stored in our data warehouses? Can we be notified when sensitive data shows up in a new system?
- Self-serve signup, expiry, and billing: We want to make it super easy for customers to try, buy, and use our product!
What You’ll Do
- Meet with your mentor in weekly 1-1s to learn about coding best practices, our tech stack, and our application/infra code. You can expect around 10h/week of support from your mentor.
- Complete assigned readings, code tutorials, and various engineering tasks given to you by your engineering mentor.
- Implement a “capstone” project that your mentor will help you design. You can expect to spend the first month ramping up on our codebase, and the last two months dedicated to shipping this capstone project.
Who You Are
- You know how to code but have no/minimal professional software engineering experience. Maybe you attended a coding bootcamp, were self-taught, or graduated with a CS degree but have only taken non-coding internships. Please note that this program is not a good fit if you intend to return to school at the end of the program.
- You have learned the basics of web development using popular frameworks such as Ruby on Rails, Django, React, Node.js, etc.
- You’re passionate about learning and building things
We believe that turning the principles of data privacy into exercisable human rights is one of the most high-impact ways we can spend our time, and so we’re building an ambitious team that’s passionate about solving important problems and having fun while doing it.
As the best-in-class solution in a new market, Transcend is a fast-paced and exciting workplace. The product evolves quickly to meet new client needs and adapts to the rapidly advancing world of privacy law. As one of Transcend’s earliest hires, you’ll get to work on a wide array of exciting projects.
Transcend is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, inclusion and belonging. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable law.