- Date Posted
- Jan. 11, 2022
- Design & UI
A Design Lead leads design work within a team, or in some cases, across two teams.
Design Leads are typically allocated to teams where there are higher than average levels of complexity, either because the problem-set isn’t well understood yet, and a roadmap isn’t defined, or because there is inter-team, or cross-platform complexity, or, because teams and individuals are unfamiliar how to work with designers and need guidance.
About the Team:
Receive is now a tribe with one vision: Make receiving money effortless, fair, and reliable for people and businesses. So wherever you are in the world you can get paid in an instant.
The Receive squad has grown substantially in the last year and now includes the following teams:
Account details growth (where this role is based) –responsible for the awareness and adoption as well as ease of use around global bank details. This is closely linked to the ‘get paid’ team below. Essentially Account Details Growth is the core of all receive functionality at Wise which means the opportunities are great.
The squad currently has 2 product designers, a researcher, a content designer and a group design lead. We are currently recruiting for another researcher and a content designer specifically for the account details growth team.
Over 60% of the volume being paid into Wise comes from business yet less than 20% of the users which make up this volume are businesses meaning there is a huge opportunity to gain more traction in the market and help businesses grow further whilst continuing to support our consumer customers of course.
Get paid – looking at how people can receive money mainly in relation to bank details such as receiving payment for an invoice. We are looking to build a payment facilitation solution whereby businesses can receive money however they like (e.g. card) and equally their customers can pay however is most convenient to them.
There are a further 3 teams in the squad who are currently more engineering focussed but will need design support in the future.
More about the role:
We’re looking for a Design lead in the Account Details Growth team to lead and develop the skills and impact of Content Designer and Design Researcher who will be hired into the team. They will be accountable for the quality of design work in and across the space as well as they will play a vital role in shaping up the strategy for our core receive product. This role will be expected to be hands on with product design work but we do expect in the future to hire a product designer to report into this lead.
- Design Leads’ responsibilities fall into four main areas;
- Hands-on design work; As the most senior product designer on the team, Design Leads push the pace and quality of work, and role model design skills and behaviours.
- Shaping and planning design work
- Coaching and developing other Product Designers, Content Designers and Researchers
- As a partner to a PM and Tech Lead, showing the team how to leverage good design to increase their impact on customers.
Eligibility for the role:
We are looking for a design lead who comes from a Product Design background, although they’ll need to have solid knowledge of all three design disciplines (content, research and product design).
- You’re a strong senior level individual contributor, and consistently shipping impactful projects
- You’ve shown you can successfully push a team to improve the quality of the work they ship
- You’ve mentored other designers and helped them progress
- You’re routinely collaborating with, and can critique the work of other design disciplines
- You’ve earned the trust and confidence of PMs and Engineers with your understanding of customers, how the business works and your ability to ship great work.
- We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.