- Date Posted
- Nov. 17, 2021
We’re currently hiring for a Global Payroll Lead to join our growing global Payroll Team. The role will be based in London, Tallinn or Budapest. It’s a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a specialist in payroll and help save millions more people money.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking. We’re 2800+ Wisers strong, with over 70 nationalities working in 20+ locations around the globe! We’re looking for an additional team lead who will live our values, grow our culture, and drive our mission forward!
- You’ll be responsible for the payroll team supervision and development of payroll specialists around the globe as well as providing day-to-day support to our Payroll Specialists throughout Europe (currently three Wisers).
- We’re evolving our payroll model – you’ll have the opportunity to bring your operational skills and strategic leadership to help us build the payroll team as we continue to grow and scale
- You’ll enable us to create efficiencies in our current ways of working and/or develop new ways while we implement payroll processing using our new global system while tackling tricky topics like compliance, internal audit and reconciliation across multiple countries for Wise.
- You’ll need to call on the functional experts within the People Team to assist you as we expand. This will involve high levels of collaboration across People Operations, Reward, Recruitment, Analytics & Technology teams.
- You’ll partner with our third-party payroll team and their advisors to identify solutions, reduce errors and process payroll more efficiently.
- Lead our Global Payroll Operations, supporting 20+ countries using Workday (HRIS) and Payroll through an outsourced, Workday Certified Partner
- Develop robust & detailed processes to ensure the execution of payroll in an effective, efficient and timely manner.
- Lead and maintain partnerships with payroll and tax vendors providing oversight, monitoring and approvals of all payroll related processes and compliance
- Partner with stakeholders (internal and external) to ensure all people-related processes and services are implemented and administered effectively, efficiently, and consistently (People Advisors, Finance, Tax)
- Review and approve pay period results according to the established deadlines, responsible for ensuring the timely submission of payroll inputs to the third party payroll provider
- Continuously drive for process improvement and lead future optimisations of the payroll area, sponsoring team projects, and an active role supporting the team in their SMEs
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures for continual improvements and efficiencies in the Payroll team
- Lead, coach and motivate a high-performing payroll team
- Set KPIs and Objectives for the team (OKRs), measuring and ensuring these are being delivered, based upon Payroll Team goals
- Develop a strategy that the team will be able to utilize to reach its goals and objectives
- You’ll provide the tools for any training, development and learning needs that team members require, providing best in practice working ways and making sure this is put into practice
- Manage the tasks, work, project allocation and flow of day-to-day operations, including team & task planning, with transparent and open communication
A bit about you
- Payroll leadership of at least 7 years in a high growth, product or service led company – you know how to deal with ambiguity, shifting priorities and come up with innovative solutions
- Desirable: professional payroll certification to demonstrate your expertise and commitment within the field of payroll
- You’re a payroll expert – you’ve had accountability and experience in all forms of preparing, processing, correcting, and auditing in all aspects of payroll
- Influenced & led multi-state and/or international payroll teams – you’re able to build, develop, and grow teams across various states or regions
- Data-based, facts-centric decision making experience – you’ll base decisions on metrics and have clear KPIs for all your plans
- Passion for payroll, leadership, and customer service – You’re not just going through the motions at work, you really love what you do
- Leadership – You relish the opportunity to lead others and foster their personal and professional development, while striving for outstanding customer service. Always.
- Detail focused – you’ll have an eye for the details and an appreciation of data and analytics, using these two skills to drive your decisions
- Adaptable – you will be as comfortable working with ambiguity as you are with certainly. We need someone who can be agile enough to respond to changing priorities, but be able to hold clear on the long term path ahead
- Challenge status quo – we’re not a traditional business and we don’t believe in doing things the same way everyone else does; neither do you. This comes to how we approach setting policies that don’t make sense or introducing processes
- Please note we cannot offer visa sponsorship for this role, you must be legally authorised to work in London, Tallinn or Budapest.
- Competitive annual salary
- Stock options in a profitable company
- 6-week paid sabbatical after 4 years with us
- Benefits in our Budapest office
- Benefits in our London office
- Benefits in our Tallinn office
- Here’s a few articles for you to read to learn more about our culture and product
- “We inspire smart people and we trust them”
- What we do
- How we work
- We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.