- Mumbai, IN
- Date Posted
- Sep. 6, 2021
Since 2011, we’ve had a clear mission: money without borders. Built by and for people who live global lives, we’re the fairest, easiest way to manage your money across borders.
We’re just at the beginning of our story and we’re growing at an incredible pace. We won’t stop until anyone, anywhere can send, spend and receive money wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. There’s still heaps to do and we can’t do it alone.
We’re looking for a Regulatory Compliance Lead for India. Based in Mumbai, you’ll work with a growing team of multidisciplinary specialists (Product, Treasury, Bank Product, Security based in our offices in APAC and headquarters in London) to help build world class products in India.
You’ll help manage and strengthen the team’s relationships with regulators by having a clear overview of our regulatory requirements and how we meet them through our products, processes and controls. You’ll have ultimate responsibility for maintaining our India regulatory authorisations and ensuring that these remain appropriate for our product offerings and features.
- Be responsible for delivering the India Compliance Oversight Programme and improve it in line with our mission to be instant, convenient, transparent and eventually free
- Own, maintain and update existing India compliance frameworks, policies and documentation and build these out to support new products, including our new investment product
- Develop systems to track and monitor our regulatory risk, compliance with regulatory requirements and internal policies
- Build out and strengthen our existing control framework through implementing clear and auditable processes
- Build trust with our regulators: manage and coordinate meaningful reporting internally and externally, respond to information requests, and proactively communicate product changes and notifiable events
- Lead in any regulatory audits
- Take on and own new challenges that arise in any area of the compliance programme on a project basis. Take a problem-solving approach, whether designing a new process to be implemented or driving an effort for multiple teams to work together to meet new regulatory requirements
- Work with teams across the business to educate them about the India regulatory requirements, and empower teams to build risk-based processes which are clearly documented
- Design and work with teams to implement and maintain management information (MI) that enables the Board and leadership team to make informed decisions and contribute to the Compliance framework
- Oversee and maintain a healthy compliance culture throughout the organisation
- Adapt your focus on different compliance issues depending on growth plans and compliance needs
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of Wise’s business and get to know many teams across the company as you liaise with them to help them understand the regulatory framework and bring together the information that our regulators need.
- Help keep compliance right at the heart of our product developments and new initiatives by horizon-scanning for new regulatory developments and sharing these with the teams.
A bit about you:
Our ideal candidate will have a background in financial regulation, great communication and organisational skills, tons of motivation and positivity. More specifically, we’re looking for someone who can demonstrate they have these attributes:
- Theory. You’re an expert in regulatory compliance having a background in Financial Regulation and a thorough knowledge of regulations in India with respect to cross border payments, wallets and ForEx cards. You have at least 8-10 years of experience dealing with the RBI / other regulators on these matters
- Practice. You’ve worked in a Financial Regulation advisory role or in a Compliance/legal team and have dealt with (or worked within) the RBI on a regular basis. You’ve demonstrable experience designing and challenging processes, ideally across multiple products. You have experience in dealing with regulatory audits, FIU reporting, suspicious transaction monitoring etc. You understand how to build and maintain a good working relationship with regulators, policymakers etc
- Passion. You get a kick out improving current practices and processes and have the drive to apply different compliance strategies to develop multiple compliance frameworks. You’re passionate about the Wise mission and how it intersects with compliance
- Get the job done. You’re a problem-solver. You have a sense of urgency and an ability to work well under pressure, prioritising, taking responsibility and working to tight deadlines
- Communication. You’re a strong relationship builder across all levels of the business and externally. You lead by example and can demonstrate the Wise values in all your actions
- Development. You’ve considered the challenges and development opportunities of working at a fast growing scale-up and are looking to get into FinTech or payments compliance
- Travel. The role is Mumbai-based, but many of our teams are located across different office locations. You’ll be ready to travel to meet your objectives, as a guideline roughly once every two months
What we offer in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Stock in a profitable, fast-growing company
- Find our more about benefits here
Interested? Read more:
- Our culture compass
- The growth of Wise and what’s next for us
- When it’s not just a job: Career development at Wise
- How we work: a practical guide
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.