- Date Posted
- Jan. 7, 2022
We’re looking for a Legal Counsel to join our growing Legal Team in Brussels. This role is a unique opportunity to help deliver Wise’s mission, grow as a lawyer in a fast-paced listed company environment and help millions more people save money.
You’ll play a key, strategic role in the European business to take Wise to the next level. With a high degree of autonomy, you will:
- Work closely and build relationships with our Expansion, Partnership, Product, Risk and Compliance teams.
- Manage litigation, including case assessments and protecting Wise and its customers throughout the dispute process; overseeing motion practice, discovery disputes, settlements and trial preparation.
- Mentor Junior attorneys and paralegals
- Structure, drafting, and negotiating commercial agreements with banking/payments partners, outsourced service providers and suppliers.
- Identify the real risks to the business and provide practical advice to Product, Partnerships and Expansion teams.
- Align with teams on changes to our customer agreement for new services or new market entry.
- Work with Product managers on the design of our investment product.
- Advise the business on strategy for scaling and growth of our Belgium operations
- Deliver initiatives relating to governance within to assist the Group Co Sec.
- Liaise with external counsel where required and helping Wise maintain a cadre of local external lawyers in Belgium and the rest of Europe.
- Advise on the legal rights and duties of subsidiary companies and their directors in Belgium.
- Work with the Legal team (based in New York, Estonia, Singapore, and London) to deliver on the wider needs of the company.
- Stay up to date on legal developments in Belgium and the European Union, including the politics of Brexit generally, and advising on future-looking initiatives.
- Mentor and upskilling relevant directors, officers and teams, making life simple and easy.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Define your path to success – you’ll have the autonomy and accountability to help shape what is needed and then make it happen
- Build something for the future – we are continuing to grow rapidly and your work will be crucial in growing and maturing one of the companies of our time
- Inspire with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
A bit about you:
We are looking for someone passionate about fintech or finance and with an eye on the future. You will ideally have :
- Previous firm or in-house experience, focusing on litigation, and/or payments and financial services or technology
- Find the balance between maturity in corporate governance and operations, and the practical considerations of fast growth and scaling
- Have a track record in project management and clear communication, including being able to focus people behind a common goal and make the complex simple.
- Focus on impact, through trusted relationships
- Have a get-it-done approach to problem solving and an ability to seek creative, innovative solutions for complex matters
- Maintain a sense of camaraderie and good humor while under pressure and working to tight deadlines
- Well-organised and able to manage and prioritise numerous projects simultaneously
- Flexible and agile, and able to adapt to changing demands
- Have professionalism and high integrity
What we offer in return:
This is a full-time position reporting to the Head of Legal based in our New York office. Our benefits include:
- Competitive compensation, including salary and stock options package
- 25 days paid time off and other leave benefits
- Annual company wide gatherings
- Pension with employer contribution, insurance (disability, dental, maternity, hospitalization, accident), meal vouchers, transport benefits, mobile,
- The chance to be part of one of the companies of our time and help take it to the next level
- If you think you’ve got what it takes, come help us build a beautiful future of money without borders!
- Please note applications for this role will be reviewed w/c 3rd January
We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn’t important to us. If you’ve got great experience, the right skills for the role and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.