- Date Posted
- Jan. 7, 2022
- Product Engineering
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking. Every month, we move millions of Yuan to and from China for our customers. Your mission is to make sending, spending, and receiving money in the country convenient, instant, and close to free – as well as finding ways to reach the potential customers we’re not yet helping. You’ll also be developing our product in Hong Kong, and expanding the product offering in this market.
Here’s how you’ll be contributing:
- You’ll take ownership of our products in China and Hong Kong – including how we grow our presence in the markets, expand our product offerings, and improve the existing products to better serve our customers.
- Your primary job will be to deeply understand customer needs, translate this to solutions, and then work with the wider product team to execute the solutions.
- However, the scope of a regional expansion PM is broad and you’ll own the product end to end. For example, you’ll need to actively control how your products influence operational workload, understand the regulatory environments they operate in, control for financial crime risks, and so on.
- You won’t be limited to this scope – if the biggest opportunities you see are outside your day-to-day scope, you’re empowered to focus the team on these opportunities.
- To achieve this our mission requires a team, and one of the key aspects of the job will be to align the wider team on what we need to build in China and Hong Kong. You’ll work closely with the developers on your team, but also with our commercial banking team to build partner relationships, various operational teams, our finance team, our compliance and risk teams, and others.
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Directly contribute to our mission to make money without borders the new normal – you will need to figure out how we can offer a wider range of our products to our customers in China and Hong Kong
- Build world-class products: The role is a unique opportunity to build state-of-the-art products focusing on expanding the Wise offering in China and Hong Kong specifically
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as a leader – You will build and inspire your own team, but also other teams to contribute to our mission
A bit about you:
- Making decisions, framing problems, and providing direction – You can differentiate the signal from the noise, break problems into their components, and align groups on what’s truly important
- You have fresh ideas – You don’t accept the status quo, but are interested in solving problems in novel ways. You are able to communicate the impact of those ideas and formulate plans to implement them
- Communicating clearly and logically – Your communication style is laser clear, succinct, and professional
- You’re data-informed – You are able to dive into data to identify opportunities and then measure your impact. You prioritise the value you can add to customers, and can get the entire company behind you by telling stories with data.
- You are curious and actively reflect – None of us have a perfect skillset, but you’re continuously conscious of what you’d like to learn next and curious enough to follow through
- You have work experience in China for a product focused company
- You are fluent in Mandarin
Some extra skills that would be great (but not essential):
- Prior experience in banking, payments, finance, or a related field
- You are fluent in Cantonese
- We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.