- Date Posted
- Aug. 30, 2021
- Software Engineering
Wise is one of the fastest growing companies in Europe and we’re on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We’ve got 10 million customers across the globe and we’re growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don’t let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
- So, we’re building a new one.
- And, we need a talented Engineering Lead to join our mission.
The team you’ll be working with: Send money
The Send team is a distributed team with people split across London and Tallinn, with a few fully remote engineers in other locations in the mix. The team owns the end to end experience of our customers sending money with Wise across our web, iOS and Android apps. Our mission is to make money move around the world instantly, transparently, conveniently and eventually for free. We are busy building the best money transfer experience in the world.
As the team is a central part of the company, we collaborate heavily with teams across Wise to build the best global experience for sending money. While we’re doing this, we also need to build extension points to expand the product locally and help incorporate our financial crime prevention tooling and KYC engine in the most frictionless way possible.
We are building a new set of financial rails for the world to run on. Even though we have started off well, we know our customers still have large pain points in the experience of sending money that we can remove for them and so far we have only scratched the surface. This is where you come in. You’ll help us remove the cruft and the pain of moving money internationally, to parents, to children, to friends, to business partners and everyone else living international lives, by building and testing new financial systems and experiences that tie the disparate global financial networks together in a seamless, safe and transparent way for our customers.
What does it take?
- Being responsible for your team’s overall health and productivity
- Helping your team make data-driven decisions by providing feedback on architecture and approach
- Fostering an environment of autonomy where everyone is encouraged to identify and prioritise customer problems and opportunities.
- Rolling your sleeves up and being involved in the entire process. Working closely with the team’s product manager and designer to ensure the team is focusing on the right things
- Having an overview of what’s happening across the organisation and thinking about engineering as a whole.
- Working together with other product and regional teams at Wise to achieve goals together
Is this you?
- You’re passionate about building high quality products, working on big challenges and taking full ownership of the customer journey
- You have experience in leading, coaching and mentoring driven individuals
- You enable your team to solve complex problems by helping to break them down into small iterative steps of incremental value
- You’ve built and designed scalable and well-performing systems
- You have experience in designing, deploying and maintaining clean RESTful APIs
- You have experience with microservices architecture, asynchronous message queues and SQL databases.
- You’ve worked with Java, preferably with Spring Boot
- You have an understanding of the challenges engineers building and maintaining web and mobile applications face
What does success look like?
- You’ll have found your place in our mission by understanding how to drive engineering solutions and look to future challenges
- You’ll understand our customers and the impact our product has on their lives
- You’ll make contributions to the wider engineering goals of the company
- You’ll inspire a team environment where ideas are shared and openness is valued
- You’ll help us scale-up and build a world class global banking product that impacts tens of millions of customers
What you get back:
- The ability to choose your own path to success – you’ll have the freedom to define the vision and execution together with the team
- The freedom to have real impact – engineers and leads at Wise are trusted with a high degree of autonomy, you’re not a cog in the machine.
- The opportunity to inspire teams
- A fun work environment with social activities and events
- Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn and London offices
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- Our Engineering career map
- …or check out our Engineering blog.
- We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.