- Date Posted
- Aug. 22, 2021
- Software Engineering
Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer visa sponsorship for this role, if you are residing outside of Singapore. With current restrictions on global travel due to Covid-19, we’re not able to relocate any new joiners over the next few months. We encourage you to sign up for our job alerts to keep an eye on new roles posted as we’re hoping the situation will change soon.* Senior Full Stack Developer
We’re looking for a full-time Senior Full Stack Developer to join our growing team in Singapore. The role is a unique opportunity to build beautifully simple experiences that guide our customers through Wise, helping them to live, travel and work without borders.
For our customers, using Wise should feel as simple as sending a text message. Yet behind our app and website lies a complex, one-of-a-kind engine of currencies and routes that’s being designed, built and powered by our talented teams in cities around the world. With new capabilities being built every day, there’s still heaps to figure out, and we can’t do it alone.This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact on Wise’s mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Every month, we move billions for our customers. Your mission is to make sending, spending, and receiving money in the region convenient, instant, and close to free – as well as finding ways to reach the potential customers we’re not yet helping.Integrate with local payment rails and work side by side with regional partners to connect Wise and their systems. Optimise operations and extend our platform for new use cases. Model and implement changes to our payment processing scaling it to handle 10x the current volume.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world’s first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
- Here’s how you’ll be contributing to the Engineering Team
- Help us take Wise to the next level as we scale to impact 100’s of millions more customers. You’ll hide away all complexities under the hood of our product and build seamless experiences for our customers
- Working on the core flow of Wise, you’ll guide our customers from their first experience on our landing page to completing a transfer and making sure they are informed every step of the way
- Create clear and helpful interfaces, whilst maintaining consistency, maintainability, performance and an understanding of what problems our customers might encounter along the way
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact – we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you’ll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you’ll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Be flexible in how and where you work, we understand everyone needs a little something different so we’ll do our best to make it happen
- Travel (when things get back to a new normal) to work with our teams in Asia and Europe as well as meet various partners and organizations when needed
- Inspire teams with your ideas, knowledge and self-starting attitude
What does it take?:
- You approach your work with a strong product mindset and passion for user experience, you prioritise work with the customers in mind and make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- You have great communication skills and can articulate complex, technical concepts to non-technical audience
- You enjoy writing testable code and believe in Test Driven Development
- You believe in and follow best coding practices, code reviews and open feedback
- You provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior and mid-level developers
- You have solid Java 13 plus knowledge and experience with Spring framework
- You have experience working with relational and non-relational databases, query optimisation and designing schema
- You are familiar with Continuous Delivery Approach mindset
- …but don’t worry we don’t expect you to know everything!
Some extra skills that would be great:
- You have experience with financial systems
- You have knowledge of PostgreSQL, advanced types and query features
- You know your way around event driven architecture
- You have some Groovy experience
- Perhaps you have experience with machine learning or other data driven development experience
What the first six months in this role will look like:
- You’ll have onboarded and found your place through understanding your team and tribe vision and how you can contribute
- Understanding the Wise domain (Fintech) and team specific domain (the problems they’re solving form, intricacies of the domains) (50+ eng teams, all have different domain specific topics, they’re grouped in tribes e.g. Crime Fighting (Fraud, AML), but they’re very different)
- Understanding tech culture: how we build stuff, specific details on the tech stack (in our autonomous teams, teams do lots of different things and work on different stacks so need to understand details)
- You’ll have deployed / gone through the entire lifecycle of a microservice on your own
- Gone through two quarterly plannings and proposed a few ideas to take your product further
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work – a practical guide
- TransferWise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The TransferWise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- Our Engineering career map
- …or check out our Engineering blog.
- We’re people without borders — without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you’re passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you’ll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren’t that important to us. If you’ve got great experience, and you’re great at articulating your thinking, we’d like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we’d especially love to hear from you if you’re from an under-represented demographic.